Revelations

Adeline's silvery-blue eyes were widened constantly as her gaze roamed freely across the walls when Severus led her through different hallways. There was a certain air in this castle that got her interest, and the friendly or grumpy gestures the paintings made, amused her to no end. Not once did the Potions Master speak, but she knew he was glancing at her through the corner of his onyx eyes. It was weird how, even though this was the first human house she ever visited, Severus seemed to interest her more. When he wasn't stealing glances at her and looked straight forwards with his chin held up in pride, it was Adeline who glanced at him and studied the man's posture. The way he carried himself was as if he wished to push everyone away, as if they had to cower before him and thus leave him be. She had seen the same attitude with a lion once, when it was wounded. Adeline had tried to come closer to help the beautiful animal, but it became angered and it's mighty roar had chased her off. She was, after all, just nine when that happened. It was the perfect defense mechanism to prevent anyone from seeing weakness and in Severus case, she knew he saw his emotions as weak and thus behaved the way he did.

While all these thoughts played around in her usually quiet mind, Adeline and Severus stopped infront of a gargoyle statue. Her lips parted in awe as she stepped closer to it and rested a pale, caring hand on the statues forehead. Without anyone saying a word, the gargoyle bowed its head and made way to reveal a staircase. This shocked both the girl and the professor, either stunned for their own reasons. Adeline was amazed at how a staircase appeared just like that, realising the statue must have been some kind of guard. Severus was extremely confused and a pang of distrust shot up in his body. How was it the girl could open the way to the Headmaster's office, without uttering the password? It took a solid minute before he unfroze, making an annoyed noise as he stepped unto the stairs, expecting the girl to follow without hesitation. And she did, the young teenager graciously making her way up the stairs until they reached a set of doors. Neither of them moved yet the doors opened, and both of them entered wordlessly. As they closed behind her, Adeline could feel the nerves seeping back in her body, a slight tremble in her hands. Anxiety. Infront of her was revealed a room with oddities and antiques too difficult to explain, but none of that is what caught her eye. Not the older man, Albus if she remembered correctly, that sat behind a desk and was eyeing her curiously. Not the lady, Minerva she knew, that sat in one of the three chairs infront of the desk. 

No, what caught her attention and breath, was the Phoenix that sat nearby. Both her silvery-blue eyes and the creatures golden ones were staring at one another, as if silently conversing. It was then that the girl stepped towards it right as the Phoenix flew up and landed on her outstretched arm. Adeline allowed her pale fingers to stroke through the birds feathers, whom in return pecked her cheek affectionately. ''It seems Fawkes has taken a liking to you, dear. That has never happened before.'' Albus piped in, breaking the silence that hung thick in the room. The girl lifted her head and stared at the Headmaster, allowing a nervous smile to curve her plump lips. She recalled him healing the deer, and to her that made him a person worth her kindness. Severus had stepped around her to stand at the older man's side as Minerva mimicked his actions on the other side, leaving the three chairs vacant. Quietly, Adeline moved over to stand infront of them, refusing to sit down in one of the comfortable looking chairs. Yes, she agreed to come but she never agreed to trust them blindly. Only a fool would do just that, and it was this thought that kept her on her feet, Fawkes perched calmly atop her shoulder. She arched a white eyebrow, indicating that she was ready to hear why they wished for her to be here in the first place.

''I am glad you decided to join us, child. The cold and dark forest is no place for a young girl such as yourself. Perhaps you could share your name with us now?'' Albus spoke softly, a warm smile on his lips. Could she, though? Adeline pondered on his question, her left hand subconsciously playing with the locket that hung from her slim neck. Giving out her first name would do no harm to her or them, and it would perhaps show them she did not intend to harm anyone. She held the chain of the locket and lifted it up from her head, resting the engraved side upwards on the desk. All three people leaned in but to everyone's surprise, it was Severus who broke the silence. ''Adeline...'' He spoke softly, trying out the feeling of having her name roll off his tongue. The emotional beauty the moment could have had however, was broken when he continued speaking. ''Does that pretty little mouth of yours feel too good to tell us your name? Is our presence that horrible that you will not grace us with your voice?'' He snapped, the sarcasm dripping heavily from every word he spoke. Though Adeline understood but half of the sentence, it was clear as day that she knew his tone was mocking. Her own eyebrows furrowed in confusion, as she was unsure as to what she had deserved his attitude. She was new to the concept of socialising, as she only ever encountered monsterous creatures or animals in her life. Minerva had snapped her head up to glare at her colleague, as Albus rested a hand on Severus' shoulder. ''Now now, that was uncalled for, Severus. But yes, Adeline, we are curious as to why you didn't just tell us your name?'' His blue eyes flickered from his employee and friend, to the girl infront of his desk. Yet once more, silence befell them as the girl refused to speak. ''Are you mute?'' Minerva then asked softly, her curious gaze on the young teenager. 

Adeline hesitated for a moment, her white teeth chewing on her bottom lip in thought. She was mute, in a way. Her voice always seemed to lure people and animals in, as if deceiving them into believing she was safe. Like a vampire lured it's victims with it's beautiful appearance. It was this thought that had kept her from speaking ever since she was younger. Nonetheless, answering with a curt nod seemed the simplest way out of the question and thus, that is what she did. Minerva and Albus smiled in understanding but it was Severus that did not even attempt to hide his mistrust towards the girl, his onyx eyes glaring icily at her. ''You seem to posess some kind of magic, dear Adeline, or you would not have been able to see the castle let alone enter it. In here, we teach people with such magical abilities how to control them, and give them a safe place to practice. With this being said-'' Albus stood up and gestured to the room, but Adeline knew he meant the entirety of the castle. ''-I would like to offer you a place here in my school. After all, Hogwarts always offers help to those who need it.'' Minerva gave an approving nod at the Headmaster's words, whereas Severus remained indifferent, a bored expression on his face. Adeline was shocked, unable to comprehend the kind gesture right away. She averted her nervous gaze from the three people and instead focussed on Fawkes, her index-finger scratching under it's beak as it cawed happily. A home amongst humans, magical humans, did sound quite interesting. An adventure different from the ones she already had. It seemed like none of them had noticed her elven ears, for her white hair did it's best to cover them up. She could pass as a human if she tried, she had studied their behaviour for years. A change of scenery, a castle instead of a wild forest, might prove to be valuable knowledge and experience for later in her life. After an antagonizing five minutes of waiting, the three adults got their answer; A shy smile with a determined nod. Adeline would join their school.