Backfired Potions

''Merlin's beard, we are doomed!'' Ron groaned out as he walked inside the Potions classroom. There were only three seats left and they were smack in the middle, in the front row. Closest to the teacher's desk. ''Best get this over with.'' Harry spoke sympathetically, having heard the stories about the gruesome dungeon bat. Adeline merely rolled her eyes and took the middle seat, the boys flanking her on the seats to the side. Honestly, in this position she would not be able to continue her self study, and it was frustrating her endlessly. She took her Occlumency book out of her bag and waved her wrist over it. Now only Adeline could see the books contents, as to others it would simply look like an empty book for notes. Engrossed in one of the last chapters, Adeline was completely unaware of the teacher's presence, and how his infamous cape billowed behind him as he strode to the front of the class and gave an icy speech. Only when Severus Tobias Snape had humiliated Harry infront of the class, had she noticed that Snape was near them. ''Am I boring you, Miss Adeline?'' Snape drawled out, his eyes narrowed in a sinister glare as he gazed down at his feral student. Adeline arched an eyebrow at her teacher's attitude, wondering what crawled up his ass that morning. Snape's eye twitched, and she was fairly sure it was because he had read her mind. She curled her lip upwards to expose her teeth in dismay, and immidiately went over the notes from the book. No one reads my mind.

Within seconds, her mind had an impenetrable wall around itself, and she viciously started an attack on Snape's mind. She cut, banged and burst through his walls. Instead of looking at his thoughts or memories, Adeline implanted the heavy emotion of fear and pain. The class was eerily silent as they watched their Potions Professor stumble back and clutch at his head, groaning in suppressed pain. She managed a curt smile and with a blink of her eyes, she retreated from his mind and back to the safety of her own. She opened her Potions book to the first page and dipped her quill in the ink. She had read and understood everything in this book, so she went to jot down some notes that Professor Snape could possibly lecture them on later in the school year. Snape had stumbled and leaned back against the front of his desk, completely bewildered by what just happened. Someone penetrated his mental defenses and wreaked a painful havock in his head. He reached up and pressed a finger to his temple, rubbing it in soothing circles. There was a thick, pounding headache and it ruïned his mood deeply. ''Well? Why aren't you all writing down what I told Mr Potter!?'' His angered voice bellowed through the classroom, the students jumping in shock and quick to get to work. Was it Adeline that had so skillfully destroyed his attempt on prying through her mind? Had she felt him go in? 

His onyx eyes trailed over the students before they stopped on a hunched over Adeline, noticing the tip of her tongue poking out from between those plump lips as she wrote down notes from the book. She looked so innocent. Would such an innocent creature really harm so viciously against unknown forces? Snape found it hard to believe, but in the back of his mind he knew she was the only somewhat reasonable explanation. He briskly turned around and sat down at his desk, dipping his quill in the ink and grading the third years papers. They had an assignment due before the end of the previous school year, and he needed to see who won some extra credit. ''Bloody hell, do you reckon he is sick?'' Ron muttered from Adeline's left, looking at his friends worriedly. He was talking about Snape's sudden expression of pain and fear. ''Mentally ill, that's for sure. The git deserved whatever it was.'' Harry snapped back in a hushed voice, clearly still upset about Snape's antics in embarassing him earlier. Adeline simply shrugged, her lips curled in an amused smile. And how could she not be amused? The infamous, feared Dungeon Bat's plan backfired, and bit him in his behind twice as hard and forceful. He would have to be cautious from here on forth. Adeline had made friends, and no one hurt her or her friends as long as she still had some fight left in her.