Chapter forty four

“Hey, do you think I can get more apples?” I ask the rude nurse as I stuff myself with the apple slices. The moment she stepped in for her shift to watch over me, I had prepared myself for some quality time of teasing.

She turns to glare at me, then at my container which was still half full.

“Now?” Her tone a lowly growl.

“They’re delicious.” I shrug.

Huffing in annoyance she storms out of the room. I chuckle wickedly once she's gone and relax.

Earlier today, Dad had informed me that the orthopedic we’ve been waiting for would arrive shortly and that my misery of being stranded in one spot would soon come to an end. I had chuckled along with him but ever since he relayed the news, my heart had been heavy.

I tap my legs and then punch it hard.

Still no pain.
Ever since I started practicing basketball in childhood, I’ve never rested. I’ve always been on foot. Working out. Running.

Being in a single spot for almost a month was taking its toll on me. I felt restless. Fidgety. Hopeless.

I need to get back on my foot. And for that, I need the darn orthopedic to come check me. But the thought of seeing the man who was going to decide my future frightened me.

“No Judith. Snap out of it."

I grab the fork and punch the apple slices, throwing them into my mouth and munching on them furiously. I stop midway in stuffing my mouth when the door to the hospital room pushes open and in enters a surprise.

He stares at me in bewilderment and I choke on the apple in my mouth. Gasping for breath, I hit my chest continuously to help the food go down my throat. The guy by the door, with flowers in his hand, slowly tries to creep away.

“Baip!” I croak and at once feel like jumping out the window and dying.

Baip? What the fuck is baip?
I finally manage to swallow, the food hurting my throat as it goes down the food pipe.

“I meant wait. Quick grab me that water bottle.” I order him and like an obedient child, he fetches me the water bottle. Opening the lid, he hands me the bottle and I take huge gulps from it.

I finally take a moment to stare at him. I've always seen him in uniform, and this was the first time I was seeing him in casuals. 

Surprisingly he was good-looking.

But when my eyes move to his hands I frown.

“Why flowers?” my tone full of disgust and mockery.

“I don’t know?” he responds unsurely. “Don’t you
visit patients with flowers?”

“Normal patients, yes. Do I look like an average normal person?”

“No.” He replies at once surely thinking back to the barbaric way I had been eating and the unladylike manner I croaked for water. Chuckling I look him in the eye, a grin breaking out of my lips.

“Been a while, Harry. Missed me?”
He stares at me for a moment and then sighs, a ghost of a smile appearing on his lips.

“Not really. The café is quite peaceful now without your visits.”

How dare he!

“I’m a regular customer and you earn a lot from my orders!” I snap.

“From that one cup of coffee?” he deadpans.

Wow. He’s unbelievable.

“What do I do with these?” he asks me shoving the flowers in my face. Slapping it aside, I throw him a glare. He had almost blinded me.

“Just leave it on that chair.” I point to the empty seat and with a nod he walks over to it, dropping the wrapped bouquet on it.

“So-” he pauses a moment before finding his voice once more. “You good?”

“I’m fine.” I sigh, relieved with myself of managing to finally reply properly without sounding depressing. “But more importantly, how did you know I was hospitalized?” I ask with a frown.
“Ah that,” he scratches the back of his neck feeling embarrassed all of a sudden. My interest deepens and I stare at him even more making his skin crawl. “I came to watch your final match.” He reveals with a sigh.

I stare at him in surprise.

“For real?”

He only nods in response.

“Clarke was there too.”

“Who’s Clarke?”

“The guy behind the counter,” Harry says dryly.

Oh! Counter boy. So his name’s Clarke.

When did I become good friends with the guys in the café to make them come watch my match? Or perhaps they just came since they’re basketball freaks?

“You-” I look up at the awkward guy who was struggling to say something.

“Yeah?”

Groaning he cusses to himself.

“You’re some player huh.” To this, my eyes go wide. I control myself from grinning. “I’ve occasionally heard you talking about basketball and how you’re in a team. But seeing you actually play on court sort of made me understand the confidence you always had behind your words.”

I thought he’d be embarrassed for complimenting me. But I was wrong. He looked at me with admiration and for the first time in a month, I felt truly happy.

Content.

“Thank you.” I whisper, appreciating his words wholeheartedly.

We remain in silence for a while until he gets a call from Clarke demanding he gets back to work. When Harry reveals as to where he currently was, Clarke asks to put him on speaker.

“Hello, Judith.” His gruff yet gentle voice emerges from the small device in Harry’s hand.

“Great, the counter boy knows my name.” I mutter feeling creeped out for some reason. He chuckles at once.

“Well, when a stadium full of people starts screaming one particular name, I think it's fine to say I’d remember it.”

Oh. Wow.

“How you holding up?” he inquires and I shrug silently.

“She shrugs,” Harry announces blankly. I throw him a glare and he stares back at me boredly. 

“She glares.” He announces once more and before he could say another word, I throw the empty water bottle at him. 

“I’m fine-” I’m about to speak out his name but think otherwise. I mean, don’t want the guy getting creeped out by me, now do we?

“You’ll get better soon.” He assures me confidently.

“Thanks.” 

“And Harry?” Clarke calls out to the guy who was almost falling asleep on his feet.

“Yeah?”

“Get your ass here right now before you get fired for leaving without proper notice.”

I cover my mouth with my hand as I stifle my laugh. Harry scowls at me for laughing at him and with a “be right there”, he quickly cuts the line.

“Well, I’ll be on my way.” He says and I give a nod, feeling a little happier that the guy had made an effort to come visit. 

Harry pauses for a moment and then utters something that takes me by surprise.

“You’ll be up and about soon.”

“What makes you so sure?” I ask, curiosity taking the better of me.

“You’re not the type to stay put in a place for too long.” And for the first time, I see the grouchy guy grin.

I’m in too much of a shock to reply. He quietly walks up to my bed and drops something on the small table beside my bed.

His pen.

“That’s my favorite pen you always snatch from me. Return it to me.” he walks to the door afterward. “Don’t make me wait long Drakeyer.” With that, he walks off after waving at me.

What the fuck?

Did Harry just-

“Who was that hottie!?”

I scream at Ava’s sudden entrance and she stops to stare at me.

“Ava!” I snap at her and she shrugs nonchalantly.

No, I wasn’t mad because my retarded best friend just made me scream. I was beyond embarrassed because the guy behind her was laughing his head off.

“You can stop laughing now Tray.” I scowl. The siblings look at each other amused at my embarrassment.

“That was the café guy right? The one who’s always irritated with you?” Travis says in between trying to stop his laughter.

“Yeah he’s the-”

“What café guy? What café?” Ava interrupts her eyes as big as a planet.

Just how many guys is this girl planning to add to her boyfriend collection?

“Just a guy who works at the café by the bus stop,” Travis responds dryly sighing at his sister’s boy fetish.

“You two stay still and I’ll be right back!” With that Ava ran out of the room in inhuman speed leaving tray and I to stare at her disappeared form.

“Sometimes I feel like she was raised by chipmunks.” Travis sighs shaking his head and I laugh at that.

“What did that guy want?” He asks coming closer to me and taking my hand in his.

“Paying a visit to a regular customer with flowers.” I wink and Travis chuckles.

“I heard the orthopedic will be here soon?” At once my smile falters.

“Yeah.” My voice low and trembling.

I was happy just a moment ago. How can one’s emotions be this messed up?

“Hey.” Travis lifts my chin and stares into my eyes, concern filling his own. “Everything is going to be alright. You hear me?”

“Mmm.” I have nothing more to say, a feeling of dread washing over me. Travis pulls me close and I rest my head on his chest. I could feel the muscles underneath his fit T-Shirt and at once I go back to the time I had first seen him shirtless in our gym when he came to work out. Heat crept onto my face at the thought of touching them while he’s without the t-shirt.

When did I become so dirty?

And just how is it possible for moods to change so quickly!?

“Like what you feel?”

At once I look up my face flushing red. Travis’s eyes danced with amusement, a smirk playing on his lips. Scowling I slap his abdomen and he erupts in a fit of chuckles pulling me closer. Laying his chin on my head, he kisses the crown of my head.

“God, I just love you.”

My heart starts beating a mile. I cover my face on his t-shirt and beg no one comes barging into the room.

“Why does a medical college student need abs?” I mumble to myself. Travis chuckles, his entire body trembling in the process.

“To seduce a lady or two?” he teases. I could very well picture him grinning from above. Pulling back, I hit him once more. Harder. But he doesn’t even wince and looks at me with humor and adoration.

I quickly pull back and stare at Travis in horror. He quirks a brow at me but then his expression turns to worry. 

"What's wrong?" 

"Oh fuck." I mumble and he grabs my shoulders with urgency. 

“What’s wrong Judy? Does it hurt somewhere?” his eyes travel down my body trying to figure out what was wrong with me. 

“I need to use the bathroom,” I whisper feeling embarrassed. Travis stares at my face in shock for a minute and then squats on the ground heaving a deep sigh. 

“You got me scared shitless for a second.” He grunts. I only shrug, squeezing my insides to stop myself from wetting the bed. “Here, let me help you.”

“No!” I scream at once. Travis staggers back quite alarmed at my outburst. “I mean it’s fine. I’ll just call my dad.” I chuckle nervously as I grab ahold of my phone. 

“You’re telling me, you’ll call your dad and get the poor man to lock up his gym and come running all the way here, just so you could go to the bathroom?” Travis questions folding his arms across his chest as he stares at me. His eyes dancing with an amused spark. 

I scoff. “Okay, now you're making me feel guilty of wanting to use the bathroom!” He only chuckles taking this all in as some sort of a joke.  

Coming up closer, he doesn’t wait for my approval and just drops his arm underneath me and with a swift move lifts me up into his arms.  

“Now that wasn’t so hard, was it?” he asks and I roll my eyes at him, feeling embarrassed for being in such close proximity to him. His face is so close to mine, I blush. The gesture makes him chuckle and I slap his hard chest. 

He slowly walks to the end of the room and whilst holding me up, he opens the door for me and steps inside the bathroom. Lifting the lid of the loo, he gently places me on it. And then he just stands there.  

“So, you’re just going stand here staring at me shamelessly while I do the thing?” I deadpan and at once Travis’s ears go red and he rushes outside after mumbling a quick ‘sorry’ out of embarrassment.

God, he can be so gullible at times. Though that’s what makes him cute I guess. 

And I don’t think you'll find that many boyfriends carrying their girl’s to the bathroom, all the way to the loo. 

Sighing at how hopeless I’ve become, I struggle to lift the hospital gown which was proving to be difficult than running past a defender. Managing to somehow squirm from side to side I get the darn thing from underneath me. After finishing the job, I wash my hand in the sink closest to the loo.  

“Hey, you alright in there?” Travis’s voice comes from the outside followed by a light knock on the door. 

“Yeah, just let me get rid of these mobs in here.” 

“What?” he asks startled. 

“What the hell do you mean, are you alright in there? I'm inside a fucking bathroom! What’s going to happen in here anyways?” I snap back quite rudely. He was starting to get on my nerves and I was already feeling horrible about myself.  Travis only chuckles and I groan at how lightheaded he was being. 

“Come on in,” I call out and with a knock, he opens the door and comes inside with a sheepish smile on his face. I shake my head but I can't keep the smile from breaking out.

“Here, put your hand around my neck.” He bends real low so he could put his hand underneath my legs and he whisks me off of my feet. Note the sarcasm. 

Walking to the bed, he slowly drops me on it and covers my legs with the sheets.  

“I’m sorry. For making you carry me to the bathroom.”  

“Don’t be sorry. I told you, didn’t I? I’ll carry you if I have to.” He raises a hand and caresses my cheek softly. “just please, don’t ever feel at odds asking me for help when you really need help.”  

Grabbing his hand, I give it a tight squeeze as I smile at him appreciating every bit of his presence.
“Thank you.” 

“Mm.” he kisses the crown of my head. 

How did I get so lucky with such an amazing guy as my boyfriend? 

“Scoot over.” He gently pushes me and with his help, I move to the side. Travis takes off his shoes and gets on the bed, lying down beside me.  I've never been so close to a guy before. Hell, I can't remember the last time I slept next to dad. And yet here I am, besides a drop-dead gorgeous guy holding hands.  

We remain in silence enjoying each other's warmth and presence. Travis plays with my fingers and I just stare at his face, taking in everything my eyes could travel to. 

“Hey, brother gorgeous?”

"Hmm?” I chuckle lightly at how naturally he had responded to that when in the beginning all he did was correct me and grumble.  

“Thank you. For coming back.” 

I meant every word. 

Travis doesn’t reply. He remains silent for a second. And then his hand creeps underneath me and pulls me closer to him. I rest my head on his shoulder with one hand over his chest. He doesn’t say a word but stares at me.  

“Tray?” 

“I should have never left. I’m sorry for that,” he apologizes earnestly. I quickly shake my head. It wasn’t his fault. It was all his mom’s doing. “I swear Judy,” he grips my hand tight, his eyes full of desperation and sadness. “I will never leave you.
Ever.”  

I only nod, unable to make out any words. Travis pulls me even closer and we continue to be in silence, embracing each other.

My phone starts ringing breaking the romantic vibe that was building up between us. We turn to my phone and upon seeing the caller ID Travis grabs my phone.

“Don’t answer.” He says at once. “She’s spying on us and wants to ruin the good mood.”

I steal my phone back from him and throw him a glare for speaking of my best friend in such a manner. He only shrugs not feeling guilty about talking of his sister in such a way. I swipe the screen and answer the call. Immediately Ava starts screaming.

“Mom alert. Mom alert!”

“What?”

“Mom is on her way to see you!” She yells from the other side. “She’s almost to your room Judy~”

“Oh fuck.” Travis cusses having heard his sister’s yelling. Walking back and forth frantically, he tries to come up with a plan to disappear into thin air.

“Right.” He snaps his fingers. “I’ll hide in the bathroom. Judy, lock the door from the outside.”

I guess panic makes a person lose brain cells.

“I can suddenly walk just because your mom’s on the way?” I deadpan. His words register on his brain and a look of regret washes over his dumbfound face. I sigh not knowing what else to do. Nevertheless, Travis rushes to the bathroom on the far corner of the room and shuts the door, locking it from inside.

Oh well. I'll just say it's dad. Or a friend. Or a nurse.

“Hello, Judy.” Her voice which I’ve always loved hearing, sent a chill down my spine. Turning to the door I find Travis’s Mom, still clad in her lab coat.

“Mrs. Heatherfield.” I throw her a fake smile as she walks inside closer to my bed.

“How are you doing honey?” Mrs. Heatherfield asks as she takes my hand in hers.

“I’ve been better I guess?” I didn’t mean to sound bitter but the question she asked was starting to get on my nerves.
Something flashes in her eyes but I can’t quite contemplate if it's regret or irritation.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t visit until now. With the flu going on around, the hospital’s been keeping me busy.”

Excuses.

“That’s alright.”

We remain in silence and I stare at the clock hoping she’d leave soon. Her presence alone was worsening my mood.

“Thank you.” She startles me with her sudden speech. I look at her, waiting for her to go on. “For saving Ava.”

I throw her a sick glare. 

“Ava is my best friend. Of course, I’d save her. No need for appreciations.” 

She doesn’t say another word and stares at her clenched hands on her lap. I turn the other way, her presence alone ruining my mood.

“I’m sorry.” her sudden apology makes me turn her way and glare at her with hatred.

“For what?” I snap. My change in tone doesn’t go unnoticed. She looks at me in the eye and I finally understand the earlier change in her eyes. It was neither regret nor irritation. It was sadness.

“You know for what.”

I grab hold of the sheets and squeeze them tight to keep myself calm.

“Why did you do that? Do you hate me that much?” my voice never sounded so constricted before today. I was beyond hurt that a mother figure to me had done something so cruel. 

“I actually like you very much, my dear.”

“Then why?”

“If you stand in my shoes as a mother you would
understand why I had to do what I did.”

“If I was a mother I wouldn’t separate my child from the one he loves.”

“Love?”

Ah fuck.

I revealed something I shouldn’t have.

“Stop looking so guilty. You don’t have to be on guard with me.” Travis’s mom chuckles dryly. “I just wanted my son to go back to college. I never
intended to hurt him. Neither you.”

I don’t respond. I didn’t know what to say.

She gets to her feet after giving a soft pat on the back of my hand. Grabbing her bag and stethoscope she had laid down, she turns to me with a soft smile.

“You will recover soon. I know. That spunky little Judith in there will fight her way out.” She says with a smile pointing at me. I give her a watery smile.

“I have patients waiting for me so I’ll take my leave now. Take care of yourself, Judith.” With that, she walks to the door but then stops for a moment. “And congratulations on winning the summer match.”

“Aunt Arianna?” I call out to her after pondering over something I wanted to say to her while I had the courage.

“Yes?”

“Travis is a smart boy.” Her smile falters at once. “I will not hold him back. I want to see Travis as a doctor. He has the potential. I will be with him the entire way of his career. I promise you I won’t be a burden. I don’t know what is going to happen to me, but I want to be there for him at least. So please, don’t pressure him and he will accomplish so much more.”

She doesn’t say anything. Her lips in a thin line as her gaze was cold on me. The grip on her handbag tightens and then she turns to the door.

“Remember to keep your promise and support him.”

Silence.

I suck in a deep breath when I realize what she was saying. Did she just-

“Tell that son of mine who is hiding somewhere about to not neglect his studies.

“How did you-” I stare at her in shock.

“He’s my son Judy. If he is not at home, then where else would he be but here?” A flicker of a smile appears on her face making her features gentle. “Take care, honey.” And she leaves the room shutting the door behind her.

Travis quietly opens the bathroom door and peers outside. Once he makes sure the coast is clear he comes out. A look of utter shock on his handsome face. He turns to look at me and then back at the door.

“Did she just... approve of us dating?” He breathes out.

“I think she did.”

Taking quick strides towards me, Travis pulls me to him planting a firm kiss on my lips. And then he hugs me tight.

“Thank you. Thank you, Jude.”

I chuckle at how emotional he was getting. I pat his back and wrap my arms around him to feel his warmth.

I guess I had to be injured for us to get together?

We remain in the same position for god knows how long. Thankfully Ava doesn’t come running into the room.

“Now what’s this about getting me to go back to college?” He asks pulling away from me and perking a brow cutely. I roll my eyes at him for being so whiny.

“Oh shush and just continue hugging me. We can talk about that later.” I sigh and pull him to me once more yearning for his warmth. He stops me and I do the unthinkable. I pout.

“I’ll do something better.” He says and smiles making my insides turn.

“Like what?”

He doesn’t respond to my question. We don’t talk any further. Travis captures my lips with his and my entire body is filled with his passionate warmth.

I hug him closer and press my body to his as closest as possible. I clutch onto him tightly not wanting to ever let go.

If I had known this would be my last day smiling, I’d have laughed a bit more.