Chapter eleven

Nearly breaking the door off its hinges, I throw it open and scramble inside to find all the girls of the team present and standing in a circle. My crazy entrance urges all eyes to turn to me but I don't bother with the attention. I take quick strides towards them. Their faces holding a look of loss makes my insides turn.

Amidst the crowd of girls, in the center, I spot steel crutches. And a ginger head whose face was staring at the ground intently. I didn't have to push through to get to the center. They opened up a space for me and I could see an upset Tori looking my way.

Oh my god.

"What... What happened?" I ask her, my voice breaking. One of her legs was completely bandaged. There's band-aids and scratches on her arms and face. She looks battered and wounded all over.

"James and I met with an accident." She says with a loud sigh. My other teammates look forlorn and upset at this. "We got into an argument and he sort of pulled his eyes from the road to glare at me and didn't see a pull-up truck in front. We're lucky we escaped with just a broken arm and leg." She finishes.

So James broke an arm.

I wasn't sure if to be upset or angry. How can they be so careless? Especially when this is a crucial time for us basketball members. Tori isn't just a bencher. She's a top-five. Our point guard. More importantly, she's a senior. Her last year to play high school basketball and get a scholarship to any leading College. How could this have happened at such a bad time?

Fuck!

"Judy..." I didn't want to listen to her. I wasn't being a bitch. I 'm just pissed at her and her brother for being so stupid. I want to march right up to James and yell in his face but he's injured too.

"When will the cast be taken off?" Señora asks Tori and the girl hangs her head.

"7 - 8 weeks at most with proper treatment and exercise," Tori whispers and what little hope we had was lost.

The summer league consisted of 25 games with two/three matches per week. We played four matches and had twenty-one more to go. In seven weeks the summer league would come to an end. How are we to win each game if our point guard is out of order?

Cassy, the one who always has something to say is silent for once as she looks at anyone but Tori. They're a duo pair and I'm sure Cassy felt lost.

Nora has a neutral expression plastered on her face but I know she's breaking from the inside. Just like all the other teammates. Señora didn't know what to say. The court has never been this quiet before. My blood boils and a sudden rage fills me up. Powerless at the thought that this was the end for us.

No. This can't be. We have to keep going. We must!

While everyone looks beaten, Tori continues to look at me with some kind of determination. I avert my gaze since I wasn't so willing to look at her face for the time being.

"We can't give up on the summer league just because I'm injured." Tori starts making heads turn to her. Some frown wondering what she's implying.

"We've got talented players, but we need a point guard Tori." Señora states and I give a vague nod. Still not looking at the ginger head.

"I know. And we've got one. If you ask me, she's even better than me." Tori says as her eyes remove from Señora and move to meet mine. My heart literally beats out of my chest. All eyes are on me now and Senora's face brightens finally grasping what Tori was hinting at.

But I don't feel brightened or excited that we had a backup player.

No. I felt furious.

This is not how I wanted to be a part of the top five. This is not how I planned on being a point guard for the Hawkettes. I wanted to win the spot. Not have it given to be at the expense of an injured player.