Chapter nine

As we get off the bus, I look ahead at the stadium where the first game of the Summer league was about to commence. The Hawkettes walk in line as we enter the Stadium and make way towards the locker rooms. Señora is in the lead and many from other schools stop to stare at our Captain. And then whispers follow as their eyes move from her to us trailing behind her.

We enter the locker room and Coach barges in and shuts the door behind her. She looks stiff and stricter than usual.

"Okay girls, listen up. The first game of the season, let the Hawkettes show how it's done. Cassandra will be starting as always. Let's get going!" She claps her hand sending a thunderous noise in the pin-drop silent room.

That was all she said. No motivational speech or whatever crap. She's always down to business.

As coach finishes, everyone straightens up puffing their chests out. I pull out my uniform top from inside my bag. I received the uniform packet two days back and I've been staring at it constantly learning every corner. Every design. Pattern. Stitch.

The Hawkettes uniform.

The red and white would surely stand out among all other schools. I take off my uniform jacket to put on my jersey on top of my camisole and then remove my track bottom. I'm already wearing my shorts inside. Tying my shoelace, I get to my feet and jump a little to give a little hype to my legs. Taking my lucky cap out of my bag I give it a quick gentle kiss wishing for good luck and then I leave the locker with my team.

Cassandra throws an arm around my shoulder, bending down to reach my ear. "Keep yourself ready Judy. You'll be substituted into the game for sure." She says with a grin. The others around us give a firm nod and I could feel my insides tense with excitement.

I've been playing basketball since I was six, but never in public. Always on the street court with the other kids. Street basketball. This is going to be my first school match.

We enter the court and I'm overwhelmed at the size and crowd. Cheers follow as both teams make an appearance. Many screaming Hawkettes and waving wildly trying to catch our eye. I blink for a while to get used to the lighting and take a deep breath as a hand drapes over my shoulder, giving me a soft pat. Tori smiles at me and joins the rest and I could feel my nerves calming down. I look to the audience trying to find my dad. He said he would surely come. I couldn't find the familiar locks of blonde hair that were so similar to mine.

The buzzer rings and the top five of both teams make it to the inner court.

And the game begins.

Cassandra gets the ball at the tip-off and passes it to Tori who expertly dribbles the ball from one side of the court to the other. I knew Tori was the point guard. The position I'm yearning for. But seeing her play in a real match, made me realize just how good she was. Senora was never behind and always supported Tori in her attacks.

My feet itches to run inside and grab the ball. I've never sat on the sidelines. This was a first and it was infuriating. I keep tapping on the polished floor with the soles of my shoes to keep me distracted. Every point scored, every pass, and the shouts make me go insane.

"You're restless." Nora seated next to me holding a bottle of water says looking at me. I increase the tapping, staring at the game intently. The opposing team scores three points.

"Oh c'mon! That was an easy steal!" I yell, but the scream from the audience cuts out my voice.

"Cassy had two blocking her Judy." Reem, one of the top five playing small forward says as she continues staring at the game and doesn't spare me a glance. She was substituted out and Kaera, the sub Captain had taken her place.