Chapter one

At this point in life, I'm way past feeling angsty against pointed looks and mocking stares. When all your life that's the only emotion you receive from people, you grow accustomed to it somehow. And so, have I.

And now, I'm simply too busy with a goal in life to worry over what others think of me. They can badmouth me all they want. Nothing's going to faze me anymore.

No.

Just because life wasn't sailing smoothly according to my wishes, that doesn't make me crawl under a rock and hide. It's always been my move to hit back what's thrown at me. And that is exactly what I'm planning to do now as I stand before these large doors.

Opening the doors of the gym court, I peer inside to see if there's too much competition this year.

Yep. Crowded as always.

It's my third year at Westview high. I'm a junior now. I restrained myself for two years from entering this court so I could train myself enough to get into this school's team. Westview high school had been ranked in the top 5% of the most challenging schools to get into.

But I somehow did.

All so I could be a part of the girls' basketball team. The Minnesota Hawkettes. The best female basketball team in the prefecture.

If I needed to fulfill my dream of being the best, then I had to be with the best.

I quietly shut the door behind me and make my way to the center, where the majority of the newbies had gathered. I notice the curious gazes that are thrown at me. Some ignore me altogether once they give me a top-to-toe stare down. While a couple of girls whisper to each other as to what a toddler was doing in court.

Yeah, they weren't being too discreet about it.

I take off my baggy pants, revealing my sports shorts inside. I bend down to tie my shoelace and take the moment to look around to see if I could spot any one of the regulars.

"Such filthy shoes." Someone's nasally voice digs into my ear. I ignore her and the giggles that follow. Looking at my shoes I realize the poor babies were actually looking worn out. Thankfully, I didn't grow so much as an inch ever since I graduated from middle school. Thus, I was able to keep wearing the same running shoes.

My favourites.

I've been wearing these for over 3 years. I hate changing shoes. It throws me off rhythm when I play in new ones. And let's not forget the blisters I get. But this thing really needs to rest. I've made the most use out of these babies.

I wonder if dad will get me a pair? Or I'll just have to buy myself a pair with my allowance and savings.

I sit down on the polished floor and wait for try-outs to begin. All the faces around me were unfamiliar. Some were from my classes but I knew none of their names.

I had made sure I kept well away from the court for the past two years, so I wouldn't be tempted to try out, therefore I simply have no idea who the players were. But I have a feeling I'll recognize the regulars at a glance.

A bunch of girls enter the gym and I quickly scramble to my feet. A whistle is blown and everyone jogs to the center of the room and stands in a line. I leave my bag by the benches and come stand with the rest of the girls who practically towered over me. Some of the snotty brats snicker as they stare down at me.

Yes, I'm only five feet. But does height decide what you're to be best in?

Nope.

The coach, I presume walks into the gym. She was big and burly with an ounce of superiority around her. She walks in with a teacher or whoever it is. A petite lady who looked like a plaything standing beside the bulky woman.