Chapter six

I tap on my phone a couple of times but the screen remains blank. I try pressing the power-on button but no luck in getting the device to switch on.

Perfect! Just what I need right now. The battery's dead.

I have to call Ava asap. Dad suddenly decided he had somewhere else to be on a freaking Sunday and asked me to watch over the gym on his stead. I was planning on visiting the mall with Ava to look for a pair of shoes today! My ex-shoes soles just had to break while I was on a run earlier. They even refused to stick back together when I tried glue on them.

I throw my phone on my bed not having the slight bit of interest in plugging it in the charger before scramming down the stairs to the land-phone. I dial Ava's number in a rush and place the phone on my ear. It starts ringing and I wait for her to pick the call. And my brain just so happens to plant a brilliant idea in my mind. I grin wide, praying she answers soon.

Four rings and she picks up.

"Hello?"

"HELLO FROM THE OTHER SIIIIIIIIDE!" I scream in a sing-along tone.

"Stop screaming woman!"

Click.

I hang up.

That most definitely was not Avangeline. Unless she turned into a guy overnight.

I take a peek at the number dialed and yep, there it was folks. I dialed an 8 instead of a 7.

Brilliant Judith. You've just proved to a complete stranger that you are a retard.

I try to make my mind to call and apologize to whoever it was that had been the victim to my hideous singing but then think otherwise. I mean, who cares? I make myself comfortable on the couch while I take a second attempt in trying to call my best friend making sure I was dialing the right digits. It rings and a familiar "hello" voices from the other side.

"Oh my gosh! Ava, you will not believe what just happened!" And so, I begin the tale of the innocent stranger.

"Well I'll see you in a while." With that Ava hangs up and I click the phone back on its holder. I run back up to my room, tripping on my shorts on the floor but quickly steady myself from crash landing. I pull over a pair of clean jeans and throwing a sweater over my vest, I put on my trainers and grab my phone, completely forgetting it was dead. Locking up the front door, I make a run down the street.

I knock on Ava's door a couple of times. And then I resort to banging. The door pries open and standing in just butt shorts and sports bra is my sweet best friend.

Who might I add was furious and red in the face.

"You said you'll be here in an hour. Not fucking five minutes!" She screams throwing her hands up in frustration.

"Babe. I live up the block. You should know by now my sense of time sucks." I say as I pass her breezily. She scoffs at me and shuts the door behind me. "And this is something to do with my shoes. Shoes. Time can't wait my love." She rolls her eyes at that. Ava's parents work at a hospital. They're barely home. Which is why my friend runs around the house naked.

Okay, half-naked.

Ava starts saying something but I'm too busy admiring the interior of her house. A Brazilian styled house. I'm always awe-struck whenever I visit her house. And I make visits like all the time.

"Are you listening to me? Judy? Helloooo." She practically snaps but I smirk when the last of her words register in my mind. Turning around and facing her she notices my evil grin and groans before I open my mouth and sing horribly.