Chapter seventeen

"So you were abandoned," I say to the moody guy seated in front of me. His head snaps my way in the blink of an eye.

"Would you please stop saying that!? It's the 23rd time you've been repeating the same thing, Judy." He says irritated.

Well, what can I say? That's the only thing that gets a reaction out of the guy.

Just as I had expected Travis called me earlier today. I thought he would last a day at least but an hour after Ava and her parents had left I got a call from a really sad Travis asking if I'm free to hangout.

I've been slacking off on practice and was hoping to get some dribbling and shooting done today. But when I thought of Travis sitting alone at home feeling sorry for himself I had automatically replied with a yes.

And so here I am.

"Can we please talk about something else?" Travis says sighing.

"Well, what do you want to talk about? It's not like I can talk to you about basketball." I reply boredly but instead of giving me a neutral expression his eyes actually twinkle. Just like his sister's.

"Now that is a good topic."

What?

I give him a don't-kid-with-me look but he just brushes it off.

"Explain to me why the sport is so important to you. I'd love to learn more about basketball. And why it's gotten you so hooked." 

This gets me speechless. I never thought someone would ask me about basketball. Yeah, I talk with James about it but he's an actual player. Travis was a newbie. Yeah, there was that one time when we first met at the coffee shop where we spoke about basketball but that was just basics. A graze from the surface. Travis has no reason to even bother about it but he wants to learn why the sport is important to me?

I actually feel touched.

"Well?" He presses trying to get a response from me. I get to my feet and run to the counter demanding an extra book. The guy behind the counter stares at me like I've grown a unicorn head. When I demand for a book once more, sighing he looks around and finds me one. Grabbing it I run back to the table and push aside our drink glasses.

I've a book. Now for the next one.

Ahah!

I find the waiter who had lent me his pen once a long time ago. (Not really that long). His eyes meet mine and morphs into annoyance as he realizes just why I'm looking his way. He stares at me and then down at his pocket where the pen was neatly resting and he groaned aloud while I grinned.

Getting a hold of the pen which he generously offered (note the sarcasm) I pull the chair from the opposite side of the table and place it next to Travis. He had been quiet all the while following my movements with an amused expression. He's used to my antics anyways. I must have looked like a toddler running around demanding for toys. 

"Now then. Where should I start from?" I ask with an exciting jump in my voice as I start doodling a basketball hoop.

"How about with the positions?" Travis responds helpfully.

Yeah. That's a good idea.

I doodle a mini court on the paper and then mark crosses here and there.

"First off are the players in the wings who try to score, the "Small forward" and "Shooting guard." The players further inside are the "Center" who is also in charge of grabbing the ball at the tip-off and the "Power forward". And then finally the Player who directs the backcourt offense as well as manipulates the game from within, the "Point guard". My position." I finish with a grin pointing the pen at myself. Travis nods as he takes in every word.

With the positions out of the way, I start with the rest of the detailed explanation.

An hour and twenty minutes later I was putting in the finishing touches to the amazing Basketball explanation.

All the while Travis had listened to me with utmost interest. He didn't laugh, chuckle, bother, tease, or any of the sorts while I was explaining to him the rules and ways of the game.

I've always thought boys or any person new to the sport would get bored if I start jabbering about the sport that's like a lifeline to me. I really ought to stop comparing Travis to the other regular people.

I place the pen on the table and half a second later it's grabbed away by the rude waiter and he storms off. I bet to keep his pen safe from my reach.

Was the guy actually standing close by just so I’d finish and he could retrieve his pen back?

I grab the abandoned drink glass and take a huge slurp out of it.

Damn, I'm parched.

A melodious chuckle makes my head turn and I find a set of intense green eyes looking at me. Raising a brow I question Travis as to what's so funny.

"It's amazing how your eyes sparkle and your tone changes to pure excitement when you're talking about basketball Judy. You really do love the sport don't you?" He finishes with a gentle smile to which I grin wide.

He has no idea how much the sport means to me. Basketball isn't a game I play but what I live with. A life force I'm clinging on to.

My phone vibrates and I tear my eyes away from his to check my phone.