When Rayne Falls- Chapter Twelve

Jace's POV

I ignored the look on Rayne's face when I mentioned Demetri and Shelby. I was already too nervous to worry about anything else. I slipped my key into the door and pushed it open, where I could hear the sounds of my mother washing dishes, and my dad's jazz music coming from the office. I heard laughter in the living room, and realized Shelby and Demetri were in there. I realized that Rayne would finally be able to meet my little sister Dakota. I walked in, and moved aside to let Rayne in before closing the door behind him.

"Are you sure about this?" he asked me, looking incredibly nervous.

"I've never been so sure." I said sincerely. I couldn't wait to get it out in the open. He nodded and looked down self-consciously.

"Do I look alright?" He asked, fiddling with the hem of his crewneck. I kissed his cheek softly.

"You look incredible. Stop worrying okay? Come on, I want to introduce you."

I walked him through the living room first, where I saw Demetri sprawled out on the couch while Shelby painted Dakota's fingernails a sparkly blue. They all looked towards us and smiled.

"Hey you two!" Shelby said happily, and Dakota looked at Rayne shyly with her big blue eyes. She was small for her age, and looked more like ten than twelve.

"Hey Kota," I called my little sister by her nickname with a smile. "This is Rayne. I want to introduce him to mom and dad." I said and she shyly smiled.

"Hi Rayne. I think they'll like you," she said with a giggle. He smiled back at her.

"Why do you think that?" he asked, and her eyes widened.

"Well, you have an accent and dad loves accents. And you can't get pregnant, so mom will love that." Shelby laughed loudly and Rayne blushed. Demetri cracked a smile and sat up on the couch.

"Good to know," I answered with a laugh. I took Rayne's hand and began to lead him out towards the kitchen where I could hear my parents talking. "Moment of truth," I murmured to Rayne and he nodded.

"Mom, dad, I have someone here that I want you to meet," I called as we neared the light of the kitchen.

"We love guests!" My mom called out as we entered. My mother was barely five feet tall and curvy, with long blonde hair piled on top of her head. She was one of those quirky soccer-mom types, and looked incredible for her forty years of age. My father was forty-six and towered over everyone at 6'3, with dark blonde hair and a clean-shaven face. He seemed like someone who would work in the FBI, but in reality he was a massive teddy bear. They both looked our way and smiled warmly at Rayne, who cleared his throat nervously as we stopped by the island where they were seated.

"Hello I'm Rayne, it's nice to meet you both," he said, holding his hand out to my parents. They both shook it happily.

"Nice to meet you Rayne. You're no doubt from London. I can hear it in your accent," he grinned, and this seemed to put Rayne at ease.

"Birmingham actually sir, born and raised." He answered with a smile. My mom snorted slightly, and smacked my dad's arm playfully.

"Finally, you got something wrong," she joked.

"Hey, they're close enough. I like you, Rayne," my father answered with a slight nod. I cleared my throat and leaned on the counter.

"I wanted to talk to you guys because... well..." I began struggling with my words. My heart was racing, and although I knew that Shelby and Kota and Demetri accepted me, my parents were different. I loved them, and I had always been able to talk to them, but this was one of the most nerve-wracking moments of my life. My face felt hot and my mouth felt dry as bone. But then Rayne gave my hand a reassuring squeeze, and it gave me the strength I needed to just say what I had to say.