When Rayne Falls- Chapter Two

NEW Chapter Two. It's short, but there's plenty more to come. As always, COMMENT, VOTE, MESSAGE ME, and as always, enjoy!

_______________________________________

Demetri's POV

He stared at me, and I watched his eyes run over me, I got goose bumps at the intensity of his gaze, His eyes seemed to land on my lips for a moment, and I held back the urge to bite them. He was tall but not too tall, thin but not scrawny. He had a midnight fringe that fell just above his eyes, which were a piercing green. I put my notebook down, seeing as I had nothing else to write to him. Shelby saved me from my thoughts as she asked him politely, "Sit with us?"

So he did, right between her and Christian. Jace watched Rayne with a slight grimace and leaned back in his seat. He sat grumpily and occasionally I caught him giving this Rayne guy strange looks. Rayne, however, didn't seem to notice Jace's piercing gaze, or the fact that Shelby had her arm around his. For the majority of the lunch period, the four of us listened to the twins discuss things that only twins could find interesting. At one point, I lifted my eyes back to Rayne's face, only to find his eyes locked on mine as well. I felt an unfamiliar heat rise in my face. I could see the slight rosiness creep into his cheeks as well, and knew that he was embarrassed to be caught staring. He turned his gaze away from mine, and unzipped his black hoodie, revealing a white v-neck fitted shirt underneath. I could see his collarbones slightly peeking through the thin fabric. Although it was still partially covered, I could see the slender, toned body underneath the baggy sweater. He folded his hands on the table, his sweater sleeve lifting ever so slightly. I could see the thin black and blue rope bracelet around his right wrist. It looked hand-made, not store-bought, and worn out, as if it'd been a very long time since he first put it on. I looked away from him, trying instead to concentrate on the babble of our lunch table, but the rest of the period passed with little talking between us all. There was still an occasional glare from Jace to Rayne, however I seemed to be the only person to notice it. Shelby seemed oblivious to the looks of everyone around us, or the new kid who seemed to fit in so perfectly with us, yet at the same time so far away and different. He was on a different planet, even sitting a foot away from me. I realized that Rayne felt lost here, new and confused. I scribbled out a note to him and slid it over. I watched as he read it, Shelby politely not reading over his shoulder. His eyes scanned my neat words.

Let me see your schedule.

I waited a moment as he grabbed his bag, rummaging through it before sliding the paper across the table to me. I saw Jace staring at it as if it were the vilest thing he'd ever seen. I ignored him and scanned it over, before scribbling another note to Rayne and handing it over along with his schedule.

We have next period together. Want me to walk with you?

I watched him, unsure, as he looked back up at me, stared for a long moment, and then nodded slightly. He showed her the paper and she smiled and nodded, letting his arm go as though she'd forgotten she'd even been holding it. He cleared his throat and stood up, looking insecure and vulnerable in the crowded lunch room. I stood up, taking my notebook and pen with me. He waited for me to lead the way, so I did. Jace glared daggers in our general direction.

I walked ahead of Rayne, looking back occasionally to make sure he was following.

When we made it into the nearly deserted hallways, he spoke quietly. His accent rang in my ears, his words so quiet they were almost like ghost whispers.

"How long have you known the others?" he asked. I fell into step beside him, and wrote out my answer quickly.

I was the new student in the eighth grade. I met Jace first. Then I met Shelby. They already knew the twins, I just kind of fell in.

"How old are you?"

Almost eighteen. You?

"Turned seventeen over the summer"

Looks like you're the baby, I wrote. He cracked a smile a little in response. We didn't have a lot of time before lunch ended, but we sat in an empty stairway anyways. My iPod played quietly, but in the silence of the hall, I knew that Rayne could hear my music playing because he subconsciously began to tap his fingers to the beat of the song playing.

"I am the ocean, I am the sea. There is a world inside of me." Played softly and I watched him close his eyes, almost like I could see him living in the terrifyingly beautiful melody of the song. He must have felt my eyes on him because they opened, the piercing green sending shivers down my spine.

"Good music choice." He said, looking at me sideways.

Similar music tastes, I assume.

"I suppose so." He answered. We were silent for another moment; not awkwardly.

Since you're new here, I wouldn't mind helping you catch up a bit, if you wanted? I offered in a friendly manner. I watched his eyes scan my words and he nodded slightly.

"Thanks, I appreciate the offer." Was all he said.

Although he was new like so many other people, this Rayne guy was different to me than every other person. I knew I was straight- that wasn't the issue at hand. The issue was that I felt like I needed to help him. Not only needed, but I wanted to. As the thoughts flooded my mind, Shelby's shining face appeared hesitantly around the corner of the doorway.

"Can I join you guys?" She asked.

I patted my lap for her, and she came over, sitting on my lap and pressing her lips against mine softly.

I kissed her back softly but quickly, and glanced at Rayne, who had his lips parted slightly in surprise. I suppose Shelby never told him we were dating, but she smiled, oblivious to his look, and began playing with the hair at the nape of my neck. Rayne looked down, then looked back at me before standing up.

"I'll just let you know when I'm free to work something out." He said, referring to my earlier offer.

I nodded at him, and then he sighed quietly- so quietly that I almost didn't hear it, and then turned and started walking. I heard his last comment before he disappeared around the corner.

"I'm sure I'll be able to find the class, Demetri. Thanks though," and then I could only hear the quiet patter of his sneakers as he walked down the hall.

Shelby looked at me and shrugged. "It takes some adjusting. You'd know that."

I smiled at her and nodded, pushing her hair away from her cheek. She kissed me softly again, and I entwined my fingers with hers as I returned the kiss gently. A moment later, she stood up and held my hand tightly, the bell ringing at that exact second. I walked her to her class and watched her disappear inside, before making my way to my own class, only to realize that Rayne wasn't there.