When Rayne Falls- Chapter Nineteen

Hey everyone, I just wanted to make a quick note to let you all know that after this chapter, I'm trying to make the chapters a single perspective only. This means each chapter will be based on one character's perspective, not switching the POV's. Hopefully you guys like that transition, and I'm also going to make the smut a little shorter since some of you don't seem to love it as much as I do. (There is no smut in this chapter).

Enjoy!

______________________________________________________________________________

Rayne's POV

Demetri drove me back home, and we sat in the car outside my house for a minute just staring at each other. Back at the park, we brought up our old selves; the parts of us that longed for each other before all of this. And part of me felt very uncomfortable with it, but the other part of me...

Demetri sighed and I patted his hand quickly.

"Thank you. I have some things to go take care of." I said, not sure what I was going to do but knowing I had to do something. He nodded, and I leaned over to hug him. He hugged me back tightly, and I wanted to melt into this moment and forget about everything else. Demetri was so easy to be around.

I let go and got out of the car, watching him drive away. I walked inside my house and went back up to my room. Cody was dressed and on my bed, thumbing through my sketchbook. He looked up as I walked in and put it down.

"How was it?" He asked me.

"How was what?"

"Whatever you went out to do." he said, and I could hear the wonder in his voice. I hadn't told him where I was going or with who.

"It was fine. Cody, when are you going home?" I asked abruptly. The look of hurt that went across his face made my heart ache a little, but I needed to know when he'd be gone so I could heal in peace.

"When you and I work things out. Why do you want me gone so badly?" He asked, a twinge of anger in his voice.

"Because... God knows I love you, but I can live without you." I started, and I saw the immediate look of hurt across his face. I quickly continued. "I didn't think I could at first! But then I met people here, not just Jace, but people that care about me and want to see me happy. I know you want me to be happy too, but you'll be in England and I'll be here and I have a life here now. I need to get back to it," I sighed, sitting next to him.

"I don't have anything to go back to. Not while you're here."  He had tears in his eyes, and I pulled him in to hug me.

We held each other for a while, this boy I grew up and loved more than almost anyone in the world so warm in my arms. He looked up into my eyes, and pulled my face to his. I let him kiss me, I let the familiar warmth of his lips move against mine, taking me back to England where I didn't have to think about anything. We stayed like this for a few minutes, kissing and breathing and holding each other. He finally let me go, his warm tears mingling with my own, and kissed my cheek.

"I know you still love me, Rye. I can feel it in every part of you. But I'm not going to stay here and fight and fight and fight when you've decided that's not the way you want things to go. I just needed this, I needed to be able to kiss you. To hold you." he said, stroking my cheek. I kissed his hand softly.

"You're such a big part of my life, Cody. You know it. But I want you to go home and find people. And be happy for me. I'll be happy for you too." I said.

"I'll wait for you. I'll always wait for you." He whispered, and I felt my heart break just a little bit more.

Jace's POV