Chapter 9: The Battle

Soon after revealing the news, Chloe rushed out of the boy's tent without a word. She ran back into her own tent by the time the tears came. Chloe couldn't believe Aslan was gone; the great Lion who's song had created Narnia...dead. Just like that.

What was she supposed to do? How was she supposed to fight against the Witch that just killed who was supposed to be the strongest being in all of Narnia? She was just a girl. A girl who'd lost her parents in a war. And now she was expected to fight and win one herself.

From outside, Chloe could hear the rest of the camp stirring. The excitement from the night before was gone, as everyone prepared for battle, unbeknownst to them that their leader was gone.

Then she remembered what Edmund had told her the previous night, and he was right. She wasn't going into battle alone. She wasn't alone. She had him, she had Peter, Susan, and Lucy. Hell- she had an army at her disposal.

Her face went cold as she grabbed her staff and walked out of her tent. Peter was standing at the war table with Edmund and Oreius, the three of them turned when they saw her approaching, "Are you-"

"We end this today," she determined.

Oreius nodded, "The troops are yours and Sir Peter's to command."

Peter looked at him probably scared out of his mind at the thought of leading an army. It was Edmund who consoled him, "Peter, there's an army out there. And they're ready to follow you."

"I can't-"

Chloe stopped him, "You won't be alone," she walked closer sending a small smile to the younger brother.

"Besides, Aslan put us in charge because he believed you could do it. So do I," Edmund added.

Peter looked up at him, before glancing at the girl, both of whom looked at him encouragingly. Finally, he nodded, "The Witch's army is nearing, sire. What are the orders?" Oreius asked.

Chloe and Peter studied the map a moment. There was an open plane, a large hill, and a rocky area. It didn't take long for the pair to come up with a battle plan. Everyone got into their armour. Chloe admired her black armour, the material was not as heavy as she thought it would be, making it easy for her to mount Bella with her staff in one hand.

The battle field was big, and their army was ready. With Peter, Oreius, and Chloe at the forefront, they waited for the Witch. Nervously, Chloe turned to look at the top of the hill. She could spot Edmund in the front with the archers, and she could swear she saw him smile at her. From overhead they spotted their gryphon flying back from scouting. He landed right between Peter and Chloe out of breath;

"They come, Your Highness, in numbers and weapons far greater than our own," he breathed.

From her left, Oreius lifted his head in the air, "Numbers do not win a battle."

"No, but I bet they help," Peter muttered.

The roar of the Witch's general alerted them of their arrival. The gryphon wasn't exaggerating when he said they had numbers. There was probably ten times the number of creatures on that side than there was on theirs. But Chloe didn't show her nerves. She only had one goal in mind, and that was to put the witch underground by her own hand.

Like a coward, she wasn't leading her army. The Witch was riding in on a chariot drawn by polar bears, her staff in hand. Edmund had told Chloe it was with that very staff he witnessed her turning Narnians to stone. But what really angered the girl was seeing the wicked armour the Witch had on. She was wearing Aslan's mane around her neck like a trophy. She steered herself to the front, her army shouting battle cries as they stood, waiting.