Chapter 28: The Dark Island

With her staff remaining at Aslan's table, Chloe felt as though she was missing a part of herself. She watched Eustace fly overhead, staying in line with the Dawn Treader as they slowly approached the outer perimeter of the island.

"So, what do you think is in there?" Tavros wondered.

Chloe and Caspian stood at the helm, Edmund and Lucy behind them, "Our worst nightmares," Edmund stated, putting a hand on Chloe's shoulder.

Annoyed, she shook him off, however he thought it was because she was nervous and didn't think twice of it, "Our darkest wishes," Caspian agreed.

"Pure evil," Chloe's eyes were locked on the island.

Drinian released the wheel, "Tavros, unlock the armory," the minotaur nodded, walking below deck, "My Queen," he turned to Chloe, "I believe your assistance will be crucial as we approach,"

Chloe nodded, "Yes Captain," Edmund frowned, not relishing in the idea of her getting hurt or worse.

"Archers! Prepare yourselves!"

"Light the lanterns!"

Caspian looked to his best friend solemnly, "Let's get ready."

"You're gonna have to lend me a sword, considering my weapons are at Aslan's table and I don't even know what Eustace did with my dagger," Chloe reminded him. As the four of them walked below deck to prepare themselves.

Gael watched Lucy with admiration, "When I grow up, I want to be just like you."

The young Pevensie gave the girl a kind smile, joining her on the bed, "When you grow up, you should be just like you."

It was a heartwarming sight, Chloe wished she had something to take a picture of the moment, "I'm going to Caspian's quarters to get some armour," she informed before leaving the two of them alone.

Approaching the room she could hear whispers, "Was everything alright with Chloe?" Caspian's voice wondered.

"Yeah? I assume she's just nervous. We all are," Edmund told him.

Caspian sighed, "You don't think it had anything to do with Liliandil?"

There was a brief pause, "Why would she be upset about her?"

"You know I think of Chloe as my sister. We've been ruling Narnia together for three years together. I don't want to see her get hurt."

"I wouldn't hurt her!" Ed exclaimed.

Caspian's voice stayed soft, "I know you wouldn't intentionally hurt her. But you have to think about her and what she might be going through. Did you say anything that might upset her? That's all I'm saying."

Some of the crew had caught her eavesdropping so Chloe thought it would be a good time to walk in, "I need my breastplate," she stated walking to her armour and slipping it on. The room was quiet as she finished putting it on. Then she looked to Edmund who's armour hadn't been fastened, "What would you do without me?" She joked.

"Go absolutely mad," he gave a light chuckle before turning to her and placing a light kiss on her forehead, "I love you," he whispered.

A small smile made its way onto her face before a thought occurred to her, "You don't have a sword."

"Well it wasn't mine to keep," he reminded her.

Chloe turned to Caspian who nodded in agreement. The high king walked over, grabbing the great sword that belonged to King Peter and offered it to Edmund, "Use this."

When Edmund saw what was in his hand, his eyes widened, "But its-"

"Peter would want you to have it," he insisted.