Chapter 13: Like Riding a Bike

The remainder of their evening was spent deciding the course of action. Unbeknownst to Chloe, the Pevensies also found themselves back in the magical land. However, they appeared in a more familiar part of the country, even though it was much changed in the last thousand years.

The four siblings found themselves in the ruins of their castle, Cair Paravel. It was there that they realized they'd been gone from Narnia a lot longer than originally anticipated. Anxiously, Edmund found the hidden door that was built into the royal vault. The door was sealed so that only Chloe or one of the royals would be able to open it, and he felt a bit disappointed upon seeing the vault still sealed shut.

"Help me open this will you?" He asked Peter, and the both of them heaved the stone out of the way. Back in their prime days, Chloe would've simply moved it herself, but the two boys were more than capable of pushing it.

Peter was able to break some of the old wood away to open the door, seeing as they no longer had the key. The steps leading down to the vault were dark and without Chloe to light the way, Peter ripped some of his shirt and tied it around a stick to use as a torch, "I don't suppose you have any matches, do you?" He asked his brother.

"No, but..." Edmund ruffled around in his satchel a moment before pulling out a battery powered torch, "Would this help?" He smirked.

Peter laughed, "You might have mentioned that a bit sooner!" The girls held in their laughter as Edmund lit the torch that Chloe had gifted him and lead the way down the stairs with an amused smile.

The vault was untouched since they'd last been in there. It was a circular room, with four statues- one for each of them. In front of the statue was their respective chests full of their items. In the middle of the circle stood a black staff with a lion at the hilt, and a purple orb in its mouth. In front of that was a lone chest. Chloe's.

"I can't believe it, it's all still here," Peter breathed.

First, each of them went to their own chests, opening it up to inspect what had been left inside. Lucy was in awe over one of her gowns, "I was so tall!" She marveled.

"Well, you were older then," Susan shrugged before continuing to look .

Edmund chucked with his old helmet on, much too big for his head, "As opposed to hundreds of years later, when you're younger," he continued to rifle through his belongings before he pulled a small box hidden away in one of his old pants pockets. Curiously he took it out and opened it; his smile melted away as he looked at the small ring. It was the ring he was going to propose to Chloe with before they were taken back.

"Ed?" Susan called, not seeing what her brother was frowning at. He looked up and showed them the ring, then they all turned to the center of the room.

Chloe's things had collected dust, they were untouched. Sadness swept the siblings...They believed she didn't return with them. Edmund slowly walked over to her chest and lifted the lid. Armour, boots, weapons were piled inside, all untouched. He knew if she'd returned the one thing she would take above all others would've been her staff. So, with a heave, he pulled it up and out of its stand. It felt heavier in his hand, he wondered how she was able to handle it with such ease.

Peter was studying his sword, reading the engraving before looking to his siblings, "I think it's time we found out what's going on."

The four of them walked along the riverbank looking for anyone who might be able to help them. That's when they saw Telmarine soldiers trying to drown Trumpkin, the other dwarf that had been with Trufflehunter and Nikabrik. They rescued the man and helped him to shore, but like his comrade, Trumpkin had quite the attitude.