Chapter 23: The Slave Trade

The longboat holding Chloe, Caspian, Lucy, Edmund, Eustace, and Reepicheep didn't need any rowers seeing as Chloe was able to manipulate the water around them and push their boat to shore. The other boats had about four crewmen rowing, and of all the people, Reepicheep seemed the most excited.

"Onward! The thrill of the unknown lies ahead!" He jumped out onto the dock the moment the boat stopped moving.

Eustace looked over to the setting sun over the horizon annoyed, "Couldn't this have waited until the morning?"

"There is no honor in turning away from adventure, lad," the mouse educated.

Caspian and Chloe slowly made their way up the stairs onto the empty streets, "Listen," Lucy realized how quiet it seemed, "Where is everyone?"

Eustace fell onto the stone steps trying to get off the boat by himself, "You sure he's your cousin by blood?" Chloe asked looking to Edmund.

The group made their way onto the deserted streets, the tension rose when suddenly a loud chime came from the tower in the distance. Caspian aimed his crossbow while a bright purple fire engulfed Chloe's hands. The lot ignored the gasps of shock coming from Eustace as he started muttering to himself about third degree burns.

Once the chimes quieted down the lot of the island was swept with silence once more, "Reepicheep, stay here with Drinian's men and secure the place," Caspian ordered, "We'll head on."

"If we're not back by dawn send a search party," Chloe reminded him before putting out her fire and walking to Edmund's side, leading the way.

"Yes Your Majesty," she heard the mouse answer before scurrying off to rally the men.

The sun was slowly setting, casting a dark shadow over the stone homes as they walked through what appeared to be the center of the town. There was practically no sign of life, even Eustace, who tagged along, went to peek in to one of the windows.

He scurried away and tried to get the attention of the others, "Looks like nobody is in. Do you think we should head back?" He tried.

There was a large wall with a shut door keeping them from going through, Edmund looked to his cousin reluctantly, "Do you want to come here and guard...something?"

"Ah yes!" The young boy ran over, Chloe and Edmund exchanged awkward looks as he approached, "Good idea cousin! Very, uh....logical!"

The four of them were about to leave the child alone before they realized he was unarmed. Chloe sighed, reaching in to her hip scabbard and pulled out her own dagger that she rarely used. It had a black hilt and a long silver blade, "Don't cut yourself," she whispered before turning back to the others.

"I've got it. I've got it. Don't worry!" He lifted his hand up as though trying to reassure them that he was fine. Although seeing him awkwardly holding the dagger with both hands did the exact opposite as the four of them left him out there to enter the stone building. Inside there were statues, and hanging from the ceiling, what looked like bells. The room was otherwise empty except for a table in the middle of the room full of books and other papers, "I'm ready to go when you are!" They could hear Eustace from outside.

Edmund and Chloe carefully approached the book, looking at the writing on the open pages, "Who are all these people?" Lucy asked.

"Why have they been crossed out?" Edmund continued, shining his torch at the paper.

Next to each name was a number, never less than a hundred. That was when Chloe and Caspian realized what it was, "Slave traders."

The chimes sounded overhead once more. Suddenly yells came from above, and men slid down on ropes, "Look out!" Caspian yelled, shooting an arrow from his crossbow at one of the men.