Chapter 18: The Challenge

Upon returning to the How, Chloe wanted to see Susan and Lucy off and was able to catch them at the last minute. Caspian had offered to let them use his horse, and was even offering Susan her horn back.

"Why don't you hold on to it," she told him, pulling on the reigns, "You might need to call me again," she flirted before galloping away.

Chloe snorted as she heard Lucy teasing her sister, she walked up behind Caspian and clapped his shoulder with her hand, "As much amusement as I receive watching the flirtatious exchange between you and Susan, we have a battle to prepare for," She teased dragging him away with laughter. The lighthearted banter was quickly extinguished as Peter emerged in battle armour, "Are you ready?" She asked him.

"As I'll ever be."

And so, they walked to the field where Miraz was waiting for them. Narnians stood at the entrance to the How cheering for their King's victory. On the other side of the battlefield sat Miraz and his men who were cheering for him. Caspian stayed behind and waited until they'd reached the arena before slipping away while Chloe, Edmund and Peter met up with Glenstorm and the Bulgy Bear.

Edmund did his best to stay calm but Chloe could feel his nerves as if they were her own. When they'd arrived, Edmund offered Peter his sword and when he unsheathed it there was a roar coming from the Narnians. Edmund placed the empty sheath on the ground and immediately reached for Chloe's hand, giving it a tight squeeze.

"I hope you won't be too disappointed when I survive," Miraz asked as he was given his hideous helmet. Peter said nothing as he met Miraz in the middle of the arena. The two of them circled each other, "There is still time to surrender," he reminded.

Peter's eyes were piercing as he responded, "Well feel free."

"How many more must die for the throne?" Miraz questioned.

"Just. One." Peter stated, lowering his helmet to cover his face and readying his sword.

With a yell, he lunged, administering the first blow of the battle. Both sides began cheering for their leader while Glenstorm, Edmund, and Chloe just watched silently. Little did they know that Miraz had men patrolling the wood, and they were after Susan and Lucy. To ensure her sister's plan succeeded, Susan ordered Lucy to go on without her. She would handle the soldiers by herself...or so she thought. For Caspian had slipped away from the battle to help her.

"You sure you don't need that horn?" He teased, helping her up onto his horse.

💜

Meanwhile, the battle continued. Peter was holding his own very well, as was expected. Glenstorm exchanged approving looks with Edmund and Chloe as they watched. Miraz swung his sword, Peter ducked. But when he lifted his head up, Miraz slammed his shield against Peter's face, knocking his helmet off.

Peter dodged another attack, slashing his sword at Miraz's leg drawing blood. A yell came from the old man as he put his hand on his leg. Peter was sweating a lot, and it was clear Miraz didn't have the stamina to keep it up for long. He swiped his sword at Peter's legs, but he dodged, rolling out of the way. Taking it to his advantage, Miraz stomped his foot onto Peter's shield, his arm was still through the loops and Chloe watched as it bent more than it should, Peter's scream ripping through the air.

"He dislocated it," she whispered, tightening her grip on Edmund's hand.

That left Peter with only one good arm. He rolled away from Miraz's attacks, using his dominant arm to swing his sword. Before rolling back and knocking Miraz to the ground next to him.

The two men got to their feet, breathing deeply, when in the distance a horse's neigh was heard. Caspian had returned with Susan.

"Does His Highness need a respite?" Miraz gasped, trying to catch his breath without appearing weak.