Chapter 14: Rally the Troops

By far the most difficult group to convince was the one they encountered by nightfall. Nikabrik was doing a standup job at rallying a bunch of people against Caspian simply because of where he's from.

"Telmarine liar!" One centaur bellowed over the shouts.

"Kill him!" Someone else called.

Chloe had quickly had enough, "Quiet!" The earth shook underneath her, silencing the outcry.

"All this horn proves is they've stolen yet another thing from us!" Nikabrik defended.

Standing next to Chloe, Caspian was trying his best to rally the Narnians, trying to gain their trust, "I didn't steal anything."

"Didn't steal anything?! Shall we list the things the Telmarines have taken?" One of the Minotaurs prompted.

"Our home!"

"Our freedom!"

"Our lives!

Chloe understood her peoples anger, "Hear me!" She silenced them again, "Do you not look to me now? Answer me!" Heads quietly nodded, no one dared talk back to their unofficial ruler, "So you want to hold him accountable for all the crimes of his people? Crimes that he did not commit?"

"Accountable and punishable," Nikabrik walked over angrily.

Reepicheep scoffed, "That's rich coming from you!"But Chloe put her hand up, stopping him.

"Let me. Listen and listen well. Dwarfs and Minotaurs fought on the side of the White Witch. Her General was a Minotaur and her footman was a dwarf. So in that aspect I should strike you because of something your ancestor did a thousand years ago?" She questioned, "I used to hunt all her supporters. Leave not a single one standing. However it took a lot of persuading to convince High King Peter not to exterminate the lot of you! Your kind would be completely cleaned out. But not every Minotaur is responsible for the death, destruction, and crimes that were committed. Stop me if I'm wrong," she challenged. But no one did, "Good."

Nikabrik rolled his eyes, "I'd gladly do it again if it would rid us of these barbarians-"

"You say that but you were not alive during the time of her reign," she snapped, "She brought nothing but misery. Covering the lot of Narnia in a frozen wasteland. If you think you've got it bad now, just hope that it never goes back to the way it was."

Trufflehunter agreed, "Then we should all be so lucky that it's not within your power to bring her back. Or are you suggesting that we ask this boy to go against Aslan now?" There was an uproar of respectful chants to the great lion before he continued, "Her Highness is correct. Some of you may have forgotten, but we badgers remember well, that Narnia was never right except when a Son of Adam and Daughter of Eve was ruling."

"He's a Telmarine!" Nikabrik disregarded, "Why would we want him as our king?"

More roars of agreement came from the fauns and other creatures, "Because I can help you. And I can help Chloe," he defended, "Beyond these woods I am a prince. The Telmarine throne is rightfully mine! Help me claim it, and I can bring peace between us. Chloe would rule Narnia and together we can bring Narnia into a new Golden Age."

Ruling was never something Chloe envisioned herself doing. She didn't see herself as a Queen, in her mind Susan and Lucy were the embodiment of royalty. "It is true," the leader of the centaurs walked forward, "The time is ripe. I watch the skies, for it is mine to watch as it is yours to remember, badger," he turned to his people, "Tarva, the lord of victory, and Alambil, the lady of peace, have come together in the high heavens. And now here, a Son of Adam has come forth, returning our Great Protector to us, offering us our freedom back."