Ch.6 Mirror Mirror

Chapter 6

2 weeks later

"Good morning, darling," Adan leaned down and whispered into Birdie's ear as he fell into steps behind her.

"Good morning," Birdie turned and began to walk backwards.

"I love that smile on your face," Adan grinned.

"What smile?"

Leaning forward, the boy placed a quick kiss upon her lips before squeezing her sides to make her squeal.

"That smile," Adan said, tucking Birdie under his arm and placing a kiss on top of her head. "Did you get home okay last night?"

"Yes," Birdie nodded, placing her head against his chest as they began to make their way down the hall.

"You didn't call me."

"I'm sorry," Birdie sighed. "I was so tired. I knocked out."

"It's okay," Adan placed another kiss on top of her head. "Sorry about tiring you out."

"I don't mind," Birdie batted her long lashes.

"Are you too tired to come by the seventh floor?" Adan leaned forward and whispered.

"Maybe just a little," Birdie teased. "But I'll make an exception for you."

"Meet me there in ten minutes."

"Where are you going?"

"I just have to check in with Heyder about something with the guards," Adan turned to head in the opposite direction. "I'll be there in ten minutes. Wait for me."

"You better not be late," Birdie called after the boy as he began to jog away.

Left alone in the halls of the Tyveer court, Birdie raised her hand and summoned a portal to the seventh floor. She imagined the furniture covered with white sheets, the stained glass windows and the sound of the sea meeting the desert below. Her skin prickled alive as the air shimmered in front of her and the gateway opened.

"Going somewhere?"

Birdie opened her eyes to find Sara walking towards her.

"Good morning, Birdie," the girl smiled.

"Good morning," Birdie said, her voice not as cheerful or flawless as Sara.

"Were you headed home?" Sara asked, looking at the portal.

"No, just....stepping out for a bit."

"Oh..." Sara's eyes returned to Birdie. "Some of the other girls and I are going to the jewler. Would you like to join us?"

Birdie's nose scrunched up despite her trying to keep her expression pleasant. She saw the disappointment in Sara's eyes even before she opened her mouth.

"Sorry," Birdie said. "I have something I need to do."

"That's okay," Sara nodded. "Maybe next time."

Both girls knew that was a lie. Birdie never joined the other girls for anything at court. No matter how many times she was invited, she was always a no show.

"Yeah," Birdie shrugged. "Maybe next time."

"How's Adan?" Sara asked.

"He's good."

"You two look really good together."

"Thanks," Birdie gave a short laugh.

"He's always talking about you," Sara continued. "Makes all the other girls so jealous."