Ch.25 The fourth Gate

Chapter 25

The whispers were like bees in her ear. Birdie scrunched up her nose as the hushed voices made the throbbing pain in the back of her head worsen. She felt the warm bed beneath her and the thick blanket over her legs. It all made her heart shrivel up as she was taken back to the night in the dressing room.

Her eyes flew open and she sat up instantly. With labored breathing, Birdie pushed her hair out of her face and scanned her surroundings, looking for Wren. her small hands clutched the blanket and held it against her as she feared to look down at herself.

Very slowly, Birdie's eyes looked down and found herself fully clothed. Her shoes were still on and her outfit looked untampered with. A small sigh of relief escaped her lips as she sat up and pushed the blanket off.

"Wren?" Birdie called out, her heart shivering.

Suddenly, the dark curtains separating her from the voices on the other side parted and a woman with long blonde hair and dark brows walked in. Her eyes stilled on Birdie for a few seconds before she stepped closer and pulled a washcloth from the bowl of warm water by the bedside.

"Who are you?" Birdie asked.

"My name is Joya," the woman said.

"Where am I?" Birdie looked back as the woman wrangled out the washcloth and brought it to the back of her head. "What are you doing?"

"Omar is too strong for his own good sometimes," Joya laughed, her voice soft and gentle. "You have dried blood all over your hair. Let me get that for you."

"Where am I? Birdie asked, stopping the woman from touching her. "And where is Wren?"

"Ira is not going to be happy if she sees you covered in blood."

"She's here?" Birdie asked.

"Yes," Joya nodded. "She's been waiting for you to gain consciousness."

"How long was I out?"

"About a day and a half."

"He didn't have to hit me that hard."

With another laugh, Joya nodded, "Ira said the same thing."

"I want to meet her," Birdie let go of the woman's hand and attempted to roll off the bed.

It was only then did she realize her hands were free. Gone were the broken handcuffs and the brass. Her sink was still bruised and covered with angry red blisters and scars but at least she was free. Joya watched birdie hold up her wrists and examine herself.

"Ira sent a peddler to take them off of you," she said.

Birdie listened to the woman and opened her mind-link with caution.

Grandma...

There was a small pause.

You're up.

Birdie's heart leaped up, Yes. Where are you? Where's Wren?

He's....around, Ira replied.

Where is he? Birdie asked.

Don't you want to meet your grandma first? With a chuckle, Ira pulled back the curtains and revealed herself.

All Birdie could do was stare at the tall woman before her.

Ira had long black hair that reached her waist. It was twisted into a thick braid that hung down the front of her chest, showing off her wide shoulders and long neck. Her dark eyes were narrow and cunning, like a wild cat. The fine lines of her smooth olive skin were a testament of her age and wisdom. She stood with her head held high and her gaze locked on Birdie, seeing her for the first time. Her lips pursed as she studied the girl before her, as if caught off guard.