Ch.20 Proper Introduction

Chapter 20

"I'm from Earth," Birdie said, her expression veiled with shock and her full painted lips trembling.

Her hands clutched the fabric of her dress as her eyes tried to dart to the bodies on the floor. Wren felt his own heart beating with adrenaline as he stood holding the large piece of glass. He could hear the guards. The voices and their footsteps so loud, almost matching the beats of his heart.

"Come here," Wren held his hand out for Birdie.

When the girl actually complied and took a step forward, Wren was slightly caught off guard. He grabbed her cold hand and pulled her towards the stage.

"N-no," Birdie dug her heels into the ground and stopped.

"Do you trust me?" Wren asked, looking back to her with urgency.

"Wh-what?" Birdie asked, her skin pale and her eyes filled with panic.

"Do you trust me?" Wren asked again.

"I...."

Wren watched as Birdie swallowed the lump in her throat. His dark eyes flickered to the closed door as he took her hand once more.

"You didn't say no so I will take it as a good sign," he muttered as he pushed aside the racks of clothing in the dressing room and pulled open the door to the stairwell. "Take the stairs all the way to the top. It leads to the bird. Stay there. Don't let anyone see you."

"What are you going to do?" Birdie asked.

"Take care of this?" Wren's eyes went to the door once more. "Now hurry."

"I...."

"Go to the top floor and wait for me there," Wren pushed her into the stairwell and closed the door shut. He pulled the racks back in front and walked over to where his cousin's body laid face down.

Jeffry was a cruel bastard who had it coming. He had a mean streak and wasn't afraid to show it off. His behavior was well known all over the court. No one ever wanted their daughter near him. Yet, he was Darrian's favorite.

Wren wondered what the king would do after he got words of his nephew's death. The future did not look too bright and he knew his mother would be furious with the chaos he had just created.

But Wren couldn't just stand by and let Jefry carry on. As soon as he had felt Birdie's panic, his feet carried him over to the dressing room without his permission. It was as if she had pulled him by the invisible string that was tied to both of their wrists. And when he opened the door and saw her on the floor with Jeffry covering her mouth, Wren's mind had switched off. Nothing made sense other than the way Birdie's screams sounded from under the asshole's hand.

Wren didn't stop to think about his mother's grand plans. He didn't think about how his actions were going to come crashing down upon them both. He didn't think about how Darrian would finally have his excuse to push Wren out of the picture. He didn't think....not a single thought. Just rage flooding through his veins, pushing his body into action.

Just as Birdie's footsteps grew silent, the guards pushed their way into the dressing room. They poured in before finding Jeffery's body along with his friend and coming to a halt. Wren shifted his weight from one side to another as the head guards looked up and lifted his helmet.

"Your grace....are you hurt?" He asked.

"No," Wren said calmly.

The room was silent as the guards stared at one another. Wren took in a casual deep breath and threw down the piece of glass, causing it to hatter against the hardwood floor beside Jeffry's still and cold body.