Ch. 46 Sanity in insanity

Chapter 46

"Wren..."

Birdie felt her heart split in half with the emotions that roared up inside of her. She took a small step forward, not trusting her legs to hold her up. The heat that burned inside of her tortured Birdie slowly as she gave up trying to make sense of anything and ran forward.

With ease and eager arms, Wren caught her, pulling her into his embrace as he buried his face in her hair. Birdie didn't know who shivered as she inhaled Wren's familiar scent. Tears rose to her eyes as she tightened her arms around his neck. Her feet barely touched the ground as Wren wrapped his arms around her and summoned a portal.

"Don't leave," Birdie panicked as she felt Wren take a step backwards. "No. No. Don't go."

"Shhhhh," Wren whispered into her ears. His hand rose to rest against the back of her head as he crushed her to himself and stepped into the portal. His eyes watched Maya and Heyder's face pale as the portal closed right before them. 

"You're here," Birdie began to cry. Her tears soaked into Wren's skin as he held her tightly in his arms. "You're here."

"I'm here, Sultana," Wren smiled. He dared to pull back slightly to get a look at those beautiful eyes he couldn't breathe without. "I found you."

"I thought..." Birdie searched Wren's eyes through her tears. "Ira told me you were dead."

"Might as well have been without you," Wren whispered, resting his forehead against Birdie.

"You need a shave," Birdie laughed through her tears as she moved to place her hand against Wren's dark stubbles.

"You don't like it?" Wren asked, melting against her touch.

"It will hurt when you kiss me," Birdie couldn't stop crying. Her heart was beating so fast she feared she wouldn't live long enough to savor the moment. 

"Let's test that theory," Wren leaned forward, capturing Birdie's mouth as she parted her lips and gasped.

And just like that, everything was right in the world once more.

Birdie couldn't explain the way her soul rose up to kiss Wren as he breathed life into her. His lips were hungry, seeking her out as if he too had been on the brink of death without her. His hands dove into her hair, pulling her to himself as if she wasn't close enough.

Birdie burned for his touch. Her skin was on fire as Wren moved his lips down the side of her face and then down her neck. Their breathing labored as they found their way to each other's lips over and over as if they would lose each other again if they stopped for even just a second.

"Don't leave me," Birdie said in between the kisses. "Don't ever leave me."

"Never," Wren promised.

With tenderness, Wren wiped the tears on Birdie's cheeks with his thumb as she stared up at him.

"You look beautiful," Wren whispered. "Better than how I remember you."

"How..." Birdie's heart skipped a beat. "How long...?" 

The light in Wren's eyes flickered as he grew still for a few seconds. His heart hummed loudly under Birdie's hand as he gazed into her eyes, getting lost, wanting to lose his mind.

"Wren?" Birdie raised her hand and touched the edge of his face once more.

"I thought you were dead," Wren finally said. The words brought with them the pain that haunted him every night. "I spent the last three years searching for you in every universe I could open a portal to. Every timeline, every dimension, every reality. Anywhere there was life, I searched for you."