Ch.23 Dust Storm

Chapter 23

"Stay behind me," Wren said as he crept up the side of the building in the early morning light.

"Why?" Birdie asked, making the fey in front of her pause and turn to look back at her.

"You want to be the first one to go into a high blood's house?" Wren arched his brow. "By all means, go right ahead."

"You won't tell me the whole plan."

"There's no whole plan," Wren said with irritation. "We're meeting an old family friend who might be able to help us take off the cuffs. That's it. That's the plan."

"The whole plan?"

Narrowing his eyes, Wren glared, wondering if the girl was really asking that question.

"Stay quiet and stay behind me," he said.

"No," Birdie said.

"What is wrong with you?"

"Sorry, that was on reflex."

Wren clenched his jaw to keep himself from snapping at her. Must she always defy him?

With a warning thrown towards Birdie, Wren turned back around and knocked on the back door. He reached back and pulled Birdie to his side as the locks began to unlock from the inside.

"I didn't think you would be this early," an old man with a thick white beard and purple eyes said as he threw the door open.

"I didn't want anyone seeing us," Wren stepped in, holding Birdie's hand and pulling her along with him.

"My my," the man's eyes widened. "I heard all the talk about her at court. I didn't think they were all true."

"Birdie, this is Javi. He's a family friend," Wren introduced. "Javi, this is Birdie."

"What an interesting moor," the old man, Javi, took a small step forward.

Birdie stood still as her heart began to race and her muscles locked. She watched the man raise his hand and reach for a lock of her hair.

"What do you know about the new brass cuffs Darrian Commissioned?" Wren pulled Birdie behind himself and out of Javi's reach.

"This is not the place to talk about them," Javi said, lowering his hand. "Come inside."

"Is anyone home?" Wren looked around.

"Just my wife. She won't be out of bed until noon," the old man laughed, holding his round belly. "Come along."

Wren waited until Javi turned to lead before he took a step forward along with Birdie. His eyes were alert, bouncing around the house as they made their way through the courtyard.

"When you sent me a smoke message last night, I can't say I was surprised," Javi looked over his shoulder. "Your mother had already reached out. She told me about what happened at court. Your aunt is not very happy right now."

"She's never happy," Wren snorted.

"Yes, except now you killed her son," Javi pointed out. "She had a real excuse to act like a drama queen."

Wren didn't reply. He had no interest in talking about his family. A part of him was curious about his mother. But he knew better than to worry. Adania was a brave and strong woman. She knew how to survive and look after herself.

"So, Birdie," Javi cleared his throat. "Tell me about yourself."

"There's not much to say," Wren said before Birdie could open her mouth.