Chapter Four

Hey guys sorry I took so long to update! I currently do not have a net connection but I managed to get this uploaded via a friends network. I'll try to update when I can! Do enjoy this chapter!!! Leave a comment, Vote, Add me to your Fav List! :):)

A Cowboys Kiss  

Chapter 4

I was content to stay in the darkness of my own mind, but the sounds of the footsteps moving around me, the distant whisper of a conversation was just not going to allow it. I grunted and turned around on the tiny beaten down sofa I found myself laying on before I opened my eyes. Brown fabric, lovely site to see, dust what a pleasure to have that waft up my nostrils. I laid there for a moment before I decided to sit up; planting my bare feet on the cold wooden floor.

Rubbing my head, I looked around the room from top to bottom. Yeah, still in the shit hole my mother called "home" well has yet to call home at the moment it is nothing more than a "project". I cocked my head to the side, when I heard the voices coming from the "bathroom", one female, obviously had to be my mother, but the other faintly familiar but still eludes me. Getting up I walked across the wooden floor to peak around the door frame. My eyes widened.

It was him. Jay whatever he called himself, from the woods. What is he a stalker now? I stepped forward from behind the frame. "Mom", I called. Her face lit up when she looked at me as it has always done. Got to love a mothers love right.

"Morning Brian!" She said with a bright smile.

"Whats going on in here?" I questioned as my eyes moved to the man beside her. His grey eyes met mine, I didn't see any form of recognition in them. Clearly he was too drunk last night to remember my beautifully sculpted face. Such a shame!...Not.

"This is Jay Ca---" My mother began before I rudely interrupted her, "I know who he is...why is he here?". "I'm here to fix your plumbing" came his deep husky voice, I had remembered from last night. It sparked something in me, I didn't know what, quite frankly I didn't care what. I stared at him. "You don't look like a plumber Mr. Carter" I looked him up from head to toe, crossing my arms and widening my stance.

My eyes quickly looked to my mother and I frowned a bit. I never did like the look of disappointment on her face. I signed to myself and relaxed. "Well good luck on trying to fix this shit hole" I stated quietly before I turned on my heels and left the room. I walked outside and was instantly blinded by the sunlight. Squinting I covered my forehead with my hand, and looked up at the sky. It was sunny, but nothing I wasn't used too.

What to do today I questioned myself as I looked from right to left. Explore? Well if I did that, I could.... 

A.) get lost 

or  

B.) Be eaten  

After my experience last night I'd rather not have to deal with anymore wild animals. I can avoid it for now, but I know eventually I will get used to living here and then maybe I'll think differently about the woods. Maybe. It was a fifty-fifty shot. Perhaps I could go into town and look around. I wonder how far town was anyway. After confirming with my mother where I was headed, I got in her 4×4 ford and headed towards town. It was an hour out.

I hadn't seen anything exciting on my way into town, just mountains and grass and more grass. Although I did see a cow, that was pure exciting! How it chewed the grass and took a shit as I drove by!

After awhile I had eventually drove past the towns welcome sign. I pulled into town and parked the truck in front of a small cafe and walked inside. It was cozy, had that wooden cowboy feel, about 5 rounded tables all of them had that red and white checkered table cloth with a yellow flower in the centre in a glass vase. It was original, seen in most movies these days but I gotta say it certainly was homey. The paintings on the wall were of the mountains in the surrounding area. I could get used to coming here.

"I don't think I've seen you around here before" came a females voice to my left. Turning my head I looked at the girl standing behind the counter. She was pretty, golden blonde hair, blue eyes fair skin that were covered in freckles, she had a kind smile but what I saw in the corner of it was a bit of cheeky attitude hidden. I smirked, I couldn't help it. I was going to like her right away. It was just one of these feelings.

"Well beautiful that's because I just moved here" I stated as I walked up to the counter. "Beautiful?" she giggled and batted her eye lashes. "Well short stuff, welcome to bear paw country" she winked at me and smiled. I couldn't help but smile back. "My names Brian and I won't take offence to the short stuff comment if a pretty girl like you could tell me your name" I heard myself saying as I handed out my hand to greet hers. "My names Cheryl, it's nice to meet you Brian". She had soft hands. Too bad she wasn't my type. She was cute.

The bell above the door dinged and I saw her eyes dart to look at the door before they rolled and she buffed out a bit of air making her blonde bangs move slightly. "What do you want Ted?" I heard her say. I turned my head to look at the boy she was talking to he seemed like the typical douche bag. Tall about 6'2", widely built probably plays some sport like football or Rugby. He was tanned tho, dark eyes and dark hair, not much in the looks department in my opinion. He looked kinda stupid, and I hated stupidity. His eyes racked over me and I felt my skin crawl. Definitely a bad vibe about this one.

"If your only here to harass me Ted, get out" I heard her stress out, she didn't sound happy. I'm assuming from the vibe coming off her and him that they used to be the pristine couple. I honestly couldn't see a pretty girl like her dating whatever that was. Yes I did indeed refer to 'Ted' as that. "Cheryl just listen to what I have to say" he said, pushing me aside, like I was nothing but a fly on the wall. I rolled my eyes whatever, let him be all macho macho. I moved to sit down on one of the chairs in the nearest table.

Sitting down I watched the scene unfold before me. It truly was like watching a scene from a movie. Only this time it didn't look like the girl was going to run into the macho guys arms. "I heard all I needed to say....your answer then and now are still no" she said. He looked unimpressed and a little bit angry. "You'll regret this" he said before he turned around and slammed the front door. "Well that line certainly was original" I drawled out, "he would of taken the cake if he said 'I'll be back'".

She laughed. "Indeed he would of taken this cafe by storm with his theatrics" she smiled. "So what can I get for you? Coffee? Tea? Virgins blood?" she said flipping her note book to take an order. I raised an eyebrow and looked at her. "Virgins blood?" she smiled and shrugged. I smirked and looked at the counter top. "You know your kinda weird?"

"So I've been told" she said to me you could hear the hint of a smile.

"I like it. Coffee would be nice" I said smiling up at her. "coffee it is!" I watched her walk behind the counter and behind a curtain to the back. I dare say this could be the start to a beautiful friendship. When she came back from the coffee she joined me at the table and we talked for hours. It was fun, I couldn't remember the last time I simply just talked to someone and enjoyed there company.

Pulling up to the cabin, I put the truck in park and started to reflect on my day. It was a good day, albeit the weird beginning with seeing that stranger Jay Carter again. The gravel crunched under my feet, as I walked across the driveway. The sun was setting and hit the cabin with an Orange glow, making it older and newer at the same time.

I smiled to myself, I think I might actually like it here. Go figure.