Chapter Six

Chapter Six

She wasn't kidding when she said “we can talk about boys”. It was boy this, boy that, I may be gay but there is so much male testosterone talking I can take. I wonder if straight boys ever get tired of talking about girls. Where's the mental stimulation that my poor brain needed.

“How about that guy over there?” Cheryl said pointing to a random person out of a crowd on the street. I looked at her and shook my head.

“Look darling, I know it must be cool to have a gay friend--”

“Best friend!” she said beaming at me.

I smiled at her. “Anyway! But there's so much I can take. Can we talk about something else for a while?” I watched her for a moment, waiting for her response.

“Sure, how are you liking the weather here? Is it like it was back where you lived?”

I leaned back against the side walk bench we were sitting on. Just outside the front of the diner where Cheryl worked. I stared at the many people across the street that walked by and enjoyed the summer heat.

“It's nice, not as hot as back home. Which is nice, I don't think I ever wanna leave!” I said grinning at her. I really didn't want to leave. It was going so good. I had a best friend! For the first time in my life that I could remember, I was important to someone other than my mother.

“So schools tomorrow”, she whispered faintly looking at the ground.

“Yeah” I said looking at her, “what's up?” I questioned lightly. If she didn't want to tell me that's fine but the option I will leave up to her.

“You won't stop being friends with me will you?” she said turning to me a seriousness in her eyes and her expression. I raised my eyebrow a bit.

Why would I stop being friends?

“No Cheryl”

“No matter what they say, please don't believe a word of it”

I stared at her, there was something hidden behind her eyes, but before I could say anything about it; it was gone. Her smile was back. I nodded to her and turned back towards the street. Her enquiry at the back of my mind.

After a few hours of just sitting there enjoying the nice breeze and the sunlight, we parted ways. I got into my truck and drove off down the only road that lead up to the mountain. There was a service road that veered off about a mile or two before our little cottage in the woods. I didn't know where it lead too but one of these days I figure I mine as well explore it a little bit.

I turned my head for a moment to look at something that had caught my eye. I couldn't properly see it, but it kinda looked like a wolf, off to the side of the bushes that ran along the highway; but it only takes a second to smash your vehicle into a fence and into a huge hay pile. Which I had clearly done.

When the truck finally halted I sat staring at the hay in front of me in a trance. That was the scariest shit that has ever happened to me. I sat there staring into the hay-like darkness stunned in silence. My heart beat against my chest a mile a minute.

I almost injured myself.

I could of died.

That surreal moment hit me. It kinda felt like my eyes were finally open, but to what that still was a mystery to me, but its that silent moment that hits you hard.

I nearly jumped out of my skin, when I heard the knock on my window.

Jay Carter stood there looking in. His voice blurry to the ringing in my ears. Was that normal? I just stared at him, I didn't know what to think. The next thing I knew I was being hauled out of my vehicle and placed on the ground. I couldn't of been that much in shock could I?

“Hey kid” he said placing his hand on my shoulder. It was warm to the touch. “Hey, you okay? Respond kid” He shook me a little bit. Kid?....Really he knew my damn name! “My name is kid, it's Brian! Is that enough of a response for you CARTER!?” I said almost Hysterical at the end. I was expecting a blow up back but he didn't, he just looked at me for a moment before standing up. “Yes it's enough Brian”. To say the least it had shocked me. Not once had he ever said my name.

“So tell me kid..”; and there it was again. I blew a frustrated sigh. He looked at me a moment before looking away, why couldn't he even look me in the eyes for more than a few seconds!? What the hell is his problem. “Sorry” he mumbled so softly I almost didn't hear it. “Brian you wanna tell me what happened to cause you to murder my fence?”

“You wanna tell me why you can't look me in the face for more than a few moments?” I stared at him. Expecting no answer what so ever.

“No”

Well can't complain at least it was an answer. Not an answer I was hoping for but you just gotta deal with what you get. “Fine. I saw something in the bushes over there” I pointed to the left and his gaze followed my hand. I admired him while his back was turned. He had a very nice firm looking as and those jeans looked phenomenal on him. The beater he was wearing just showed off his sculpted muscles. He really was rather --- okay he was majorly good looking for an older man.

“Well kid there's nothing there now” he said turning back around to examine the truck and his fence. 

“I'm aware of that” I said getting up, unfortunately worst choice I ever made, I hit the ground just as quickly. “Hey, you sure your okay Bryan?”. My name on his lips was like heaven in my ears. A sexy fantasy in the waiting. Okay I seriously must have hit my head somewhere between the road and the hay pile. I was getting delirious. I mean he was hot but still... he was an asshole.

“Perhaps I'm not” I said getting up off the ground. When his arms circled around my waist and helped me up. When we were standing he didn't let me go. I couldn't help but blush this is more human contact from another person out side of my family that I have ever had in my entire life. It was kinda awkward really. Warm and nice but severely awkward. “Um err thanks” I said looking down at his mud covered boots.

“Don't mention it. I'll take you home. Then I'll call Gerry to come remove your truck from my land” he said walking me over towards the truck on a dirt road a few feet away that I hadn't noticed. It was run down, rusting in areas.

“Is it safe?”. He just looked at me. If he had been upset over it, he certainly kept it well hidden behind his eyes. “Of course it is” he puffed out. Opening the passenger door he helped me inside, before he got into the drivers seat.

It was a very awkward silent ride home. I had tried more than once to say something but I didn't know what to say. I didn't know much about him. When I did ask a personal question he wouldn't respond. What the hell was this guys issues. He's prob a loner, I wouldn't put it past him with his lack of personality.

The ride that felt like a million years eventually came to an end. I never thought I'd be so glad to be home, at this shit hole that's starting to look pretty damn decent. I turned to look at him but he was already looking at me. “uuuh—thanks for the ride” I said looking away after the moment. He was kind of intimidating. The creek the door made when I opened it was loud, I cringed. “I'll return your truck tomorrow morning” he said finally after awhile. Looking at him I nodded my head and shut the door. A moment later he was back out ad driving down the dirt road from where we had come from.

A/N: Hey guys! It's an update! Sorry for taking so long but I finally got internet back so there will be more updates! Enjoy it guys! Don't forget to vote or leave a comment or hell add it to your library!