Chapter Five

A/N: Sorry guys for such a long update --- finally getting something normal in my life. That's no excuse tho! So here is chapter five! I hope you all like it, don't forget to comment, vote or save my story to your favourites. -- kiss, kiss, love, love.

Chapter Five

I've lived here in bear paw country for about 3 weeks now, its going smoothly as ever, haven't seen too much of Jay Carter tho. Actually I haven't seen him at all, not wondering the woods late at night or fixing our fixed plumbing. Which is a god send! I wonder what he was up to tho. Just something about that guy, I couldn't think of what or place anything to him it was just a mystery.

I strode into the small dinner like I did every couple days. Cheryl was there as usual.

"Hey beautiful"

"Hey short stuff" she said cheekily.

"You do know I'm not short right, I'm like 5'10", I said standing taller to prove my point, before I plopped down at the table. I ran my hand across the red and white checkered cloth, I really did like how homely this diner felt.

"Point? Just cause you call me beautiful doesn't make me beautiful" came her half whispered reply as she grabbed her notebook out of the front pouch of her apron.

"You're kidding right?" I couldn't help but look at her incredulously, I wasn't just calling her beautiful simply because I could and I'm certainly not a player. Did that behemoth of a jock destroy how she viewed herself. She was always so chipper and enthusiastic, I've never seen her so, so... mellow.

She just looked at me before she by passed the question altogether.

"Same as usual Brian?"

"Yeah" I watched her walk away. I could feel the concern wash over me in a wave. I've never really had friends, and I defiantly never had a female friend. Was she on her menstrual cycle or was their something seriously wrong with her?

This in all honesty was all knew territory. I didn't have any idea what to say or do.

It was by far...awkward.

I watched as she came back, her usual smile on her face, her cheeks just a little bit pink. But her eyes. They held something else entirely. I couldn't exactly read them, usually they were an open book. I wondered why she was keeping herself guarded.

I hesitated a moment.

"A-are you alright Cheryl?"

She smiled at me but it didn't reach her eyes. I wasn't blind.  

"Of course Brian"

We stared at each other for a moment. I wondered if she was thinking the way I sometimes think. Completely in pain and just wanted someone to notice. Or she was just to strong willed to say anything so she opts to being silent.

"Because you look downright sad girl"

"It's nothing really," she said turning away. Before I had any thought of what I was doing, I grabbed her arm. Craning my neck to look at her, strained my eyes, but for her sake to know that whatever she had to say it wasn't trivial not to me. She was a friend and I was gonna give her the respect I knew she absolutely deserved. I looked at her.

"Cheryl" I whispered.

She stared at me a moment, before she sighed and joined me at the table. She set her notebook and pen in front of her, and fiddled with the hem of her apron. I sat their waiting for her to speak.

"Do you really think I'm beautiful?", she whispered I almost didn't catch it.

"I wouldn't call you beautiful, if I didn't think it was true", I reached out to her. Chicks like that right? Rubbing her hand with my thumb. I watched her eyes watch my hand.