Remembering

"Mara's an awfully long ways away," Aria says to Mar, putting a plate in front of them and her half-brother.

"But I have to go home," Mar responds, "you can fly me, right, Fiddle?"

"Thank you, Aria, looks delicious." The Third Apprentice stabs a large chunk of salad before answering, "I could try, but it'd a while. Maybe I can ask the Arch Mage for help."

"No, no, let's not get everyone involved," Sycamore says with a grumble. "This whole thing's been muddled up enough. I can fly Mar home."

"All the way? Hyacinth said it wasn't safe for fae to go to Mara." Aria sits down at her own place on the wooden table. Her red hair is pinned back and decorated with flowers that match the carvings along the dining room's wooden walls.

"I'm mortal right now, it should be fine."

Fiddle swallows and waves a fork. "I wouldn't be so sure. Azir are mortal, but when we go into Mara, our magic drains like a leaky tap. I've even heard it can be fatal. The Separation they call it."

"They?" Aria asks with a raised eyebrow.

"The Marans. About the only thing they've ever said to Aziron besides 'get off our land', 'your magic is all wrong', or 'we have no part in En's troubles'. I would bet the effects would be similar to a changeling."

Aria eyes Mar who's happily eating some raw venison. "So Sycamore can't take them, or at least not all the way."

Mar looks up and says simply, "That's okay, Tae can get me home."

All eyes turn to the Literan man who sits with his head in his hands on a wooden bench by the door. He doesn't respond and Fiddle clicks his tongue. "Marans don't much like Literans either. Although there's no magic there so perhaps—"

"We won't hurt Tae," Mar says firmly and quite a few glances are passed amongst the adults. When Mar looks up to meet Sycamore's eyes, the changeling almost flinches. "Will you take us as far as you can, Sycamore?"

"Of course."

Mar, finished eating, hops off the chair and walks over to Tae. Aria and Fiddle lean to get a better view.

"Tae," Mar says, touching Tae's arm. He looks up blankly. "Tae, you should eat something. Sycamore's going to take us to Mara."

"Yeah, okay, Mar."

Tae stands up and Aria quickly passes him her untouched plate. He takes it and places in front of him. Mar stares at his back and his shoulders tense. Fingers curling on the gingham tablecloth, Tae says slowly. "Could you give us a moment?"

Sycamore looks disapproving, but Aria tugs at his arm. "Sure, come on you two. My house, my rules."

The changeling leaves with a grumble while Fiddle shoots back a last wide grin before Aria shoos him out of the house. When the door shuts, it's terribly quiet.

"Tae?"

His hand reaches out, flailing once before finding a chair and sliding it under him. He doesn't look at Mar. "You don't need me, Mar. I don't even understand what's going on."

Mar's voice is light, but their arms fold across their chest. "Isn't that the same as before?"

Tae turns around, his eyes pained. "What are you, Mar? Are you even real?"

Mar turns to where they abandoned their pack and kneels down, pulling out a blue book. Tae watches with wet eyes as Mar shoves it into his lap and opens to a familiar smudged sketch of a puffin staring at the night sky. "That's me," they say.

"You're a puffin?"

"No, silly," Mar points at the sky, "I'm what the puffin's looking at."

Tae stares at Mar who looks at him desperately. It's not an explanation, he doesn't understand, but Tae sighs. "So once we get to Mara, then what?"

Mar gives their sharp-toothed grin. "Then I need to go to the mountain. That's where I was so that's where I need to be."

Tae rubs his eyes. "Okay, so a mountain, got it. And your people—Mother-Mind and Father-Mind will let me get you there."

"Of course, they're me."

Tae takes a few quick breathes and repeats, "Mountain. Got it. But first Sycamore flies us to the border?"

"Mhm."

With a chuckle Tae adds, "He won't drop me, will he? He doesn't seem to like me much."

Mar frowns. "You scared him, but he shouldn't have been mean. Don't worry, I won't let him drop you."

"Can't you just fly to Mara? You're, like, magic now aren't you?"

"I can't fly, I'm still just kid." Mar moves to put the book away. "Besides that's En magic."

When Mar turns around, Tae is shaking his head.

"Don't forget to eat, it's vegetables. Fiddle said it looked delicious," Mar adds.

Tae does eat. Eventually Fiddle pokes his head in and Tae apologetically lets in the rest of the dinner party resume. Sycamore wanders over to where Mar is flipping through the book again and leans over. "What's this?"

Mar turns the book so the changeling can see. "Tae's drawings. He gave them to me."

"They are very well done."

Nodding enthusiastically, Mar adds, "Tae is great at drawing! He made me one for my birthday every year even though he doesn't like being asked to draw. I had a penguin and a whale and a—"

"T-they're not that good," Tae interrupts, watching the immortal being flipping through his teenage sketches.

Sycamore's face softens. "They are wonderful, so full of emotion. I didn't realize you were such an artist. I misjudged you."

Tae slowly closes his mouth and Fiddle laughs. "Told you art was the way to a fae's heart. Speaking of which, I haven't heard you sing in ages, Aria. Care to bless my ears?"

Aria rolls her eyes. "Only if you show you haven't totally forgotten your roots."

She opens a chest and reverently pulls out out a violin.

"You really should take father's violin with you this time," she says, handing the instrument to the mage.

"Ah, I'm too busy in Aziron and don't trust myself not to lose it. I know it's well kept here. Now let's see..."

After some experimental tuning, Fiddle waves the bow and Aria clears her throat.

The music is beautiful. Wordless, but the voice and violin sing a duet that interweaves, bringing tears to Tae's eyes and leaving Sycamore in a happy trance. The song rises and falls with joy and sorrow. It tickles Mar's ears until they fall asleep, head resting on the wooden bench. For the first time, they don't dream.