Chapter 9: 𝘕𝘦𝘦𝘥 𝘢 𝘙𝘪𝘥𝘦?

A few drinks after my extra special serenade, a few people cleared out the floor for some dancing. Somebody threw some change into the jukebox and good ol' Heuwey Lewis came one with The Power of Love. I'm not lying when I say that everyone started moving to the melody, tapping a foot to the beat, shaking their head to the rhythm, humming the lyrics or in Maverick's case, belting them out shamelessly. I drowned my embarrassment in my third beer of the night. People around us made their way to the dance floor, hand in hand with a girl or guy, jibing to the music. I'm not against the song. It's good, and even I'm shifting in my seat, trying to laugh off Maverick's antics.

Goose has yet to join in, thank goodness.

I feel Maverick nudge me and I shake my head.

There's no way he's getting me to put on a show for all these people.

Somewhere in the crowd, a wasted Slider and his sleazebag friends are probably waiting to get at me for something. Hell, I wouldn't put it past Dash to be with them too! So yeah, I shrug Maverick off and sip my beer.

I'm staying right here.

Someone taps me on the shoulder.

I groan. "Gosh, Mav, leave me be! You've had your -"

When I turn around on my bar stool, it's not Maverick, it's the other one. He's smiling under that little mustache, looking mischievous and full of silly shit but I can't help but smile back at him. Goose raises a brow along with his outstretched hand. I carefully set down my beer and cross my arms over my chest. You serious? I ask through narrowed eyes. Goose's grin quivers into a smirk. He nods towards the mass of dancers, couples and a few gangs of uniformed guys, being ridiculous. It's all pretty ridiculous if you ask me. I've had my 'moment' already. I let the boys sing me that stupid Righteous Brothers song and I know tomorrow the whole class won't let me live it down and now Goose wants me to dance with him?

Hell to the no.

Awww c'mon, Stirrups, my RIO whispers in my ear. Scared?

What! Me? Yeah right.

She clears her throat. Great. Get out there.

"You turnin me down, Stirrups?" Goose exclaims, jutting his lip out in a pout.

Maverick clicks his tongue, "Ooooo Stirrups...you can't turn Goose down."

"Says who?" I snap.

"Says me!" Maverick laughs.

And then he shoves me off my seat and right into Goose's arms. I gasp. The time it takes to react is just enough for Goose to grab my hands in his and drag me away from the bar and onto the floor. His hands are warm, I'll give him that. They're a bit rougher than Mavericks, which I find funny. The music is so loud, it's blasting my ears out. I can't hear my own thoughts over the heavenly combination of the lyrics and the electric guitar, urging my feet to bounce along with Goose's. He shifts his grip on my hands for a better hold and pulls one arm back, drawing mine forward and then pushing it away again. I laugh. What? It's funny!

Goose is mouthing the words to the song, shaking his head all around so if he'd had my length of hair it'd be sure to whip into his face.

Together, we roam around the dance floor, spinning around, twirling one another under the arc of an arm and then repeating this weird back and forth arm jerking that's way too hilarious.

I can barely keep up with Goose.

By the time the song's over, we're laughing our heads off.

The upbeat, Power of Love, bleeds into a slower tune.