Chapter 27: 𝘉𝘶𝘣𝘣𝘭𝘦 𝘉𝘶𝘳𝘴𝘵

Maverick and Goose don't turn up for Charlie's lecture. I spend the whole first thirty minutes twisting over the back of my chair at the slightest sound, expecting to see them awkwardly slipping into the classroom, knowing that they're in for it. Charlie would probably chew them out publicly but let them off the hook with a warning for being late, and move on. That's what would've happened, if they'd even shown up. I know they went out after we did, but the schedule left plenty of time for two back-to-back dog fights before Charlie's class started. So where are they? As I move to check the door, Ghost sets a gentle hand on my shoulder. We lock eyes. Where are they? She blinks, as confused as I am, but nowhere near as concerned. I can tell by the warning gleam in her sapphire gaze that she hopes for the best. They've been such rascals around her, she probably thinks they're skipping.

She doesn't know any better.

But I do.

I know my boys wouldn't skip Top Gun for the world.

I want to believe they got held up by a superior Officer...but fear flares in my chest at the thought of them hurt. For a moment, I feel like I've gone back in time, reincarnated as one of my classmates back at the carrier. Any second now, the news will come that there was a major accident and three aviators were lost to the sea. My toes bounce anxiously, rattling my entire leg. I hardly hear a word Charlie says. All I feel is Ghost's hand on my thigh, pressing enough to stop the obnoxious tapping.

As soon as Charlie calls it a day, I'm out the door.

I should stick with my RIO, but my legs have only one master and he's lashing at them mercilessly, so they carry me as fast as they can to Viper's office. Funny how I used to get called down to his office so frequently, I considered setting up camp there, and now, I haven't had a summons since Viper showed me Ghost's file. What was that...three days ago now? It feels longer. Maybe because I started a new chapter the moment we picked her up at the airport. No, a new book. My life is four volumes. Childhood, Adulthood and the loss of my RIO, Top Gun and letting go of her, and now, the New RIO. Shitty titles, I know. I'll have to consult my personal poet for better options. As I hurtle myself around the last corner, dodging two Captains I definitely should have greeted formally, I pray that there won't be any tragedy in this volume of my story. I can't lose someone else. There can't be any other crashes.

Well shit.

There's already two people waiting outside Viper's office.

Wait–

"Oh my gosh," I stagger to a stop, holding my stomach as I gasp for breath. Maverick and Goose look over their shoulders, worried and puzzled. I comb the hair from my face and point at them firmly, though my entire arm shakes, "You...you dipshits scared the actual life out of me! Where the Hell have you been? Tell me you were fooling around o-or skipping or something other than falling out of the sky and getting hurt!" I pause, drifting closer. "Are you hurt?"

"We're fine, Remi," Maverick promises.

Remi...he's never called me Remi before.

Goose scoffs, "I wouldn't say fine. I'd take a blow to the head over this anyday."

Reproach boils in my heart. I cross both arms over my chest and glare at Goose for his ignorant comment. "You'd take it over what exactly?"

"I WANT SOME BUTTS FOR THIS AND I WANT 'EM NOW!"

The door to Viper's office flies open and an enraged officer stomps out. I throw myself out of his way while Maverick and Goose roll their shoulders back, standing at attention. The furious officer is blinded by his rage. He runs smack into a poor guy carrying a tray of coffee and the hot beverages slosh down the front of the man's tan uniform and array of decorations. He backs away, hands hovering over his chest like he isn't sure whether wiping at the enormous muddy stain will help or not, and in the deepest boom of outrage he damns us all to Hell, taking the Lord's name in vain and then shoves his way down the hall. I glance at the coffee boy, who's crisp white uniform couldn't escape the spray. He bends down to clean up the mess. I hurry forward, trying not to laugh at the sound of the officer down the hall, "THAT'S TWICE NOW! I WANT SOME BUTTS!" Careful of the steaming brown pool, I kneel beside the boy and pick up the napkins from the tray. He gathers the cups.