Chapter 23: 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘓𝘢𝘴𝘵 𝘎𝘰𝘰𝘥𝘣𝘺𝘦

"Cheers!"

"Cheers!"

"Cheers!"

Bradley bounces in his seat, trying to clink his lemonade against my beer. His arm won't reach so I lower the butt of my bottle and let the rim of his glass leave a hard kiss. Maverick throws an arm over my shoulder and hides his laughter in the side of my face. Across the table, Carol and Goose share a kiss that has little Rooster sticking his tongue out in disgust. Charlie tips back her glass of wine, laughing into the fine spirit. Goose pulls away from his wife to poke Bradley's unnaturally boopable nose, while Carol settles in her seat and sips her beer, shaking her head and letting out a satisfied, 'm-m-mmm.'

"So," She sets her beer down. "You're finally back where you belong, Stirrups?"

"That's right."

Carol grins, "You gonna give ol' Mav here a run for his money?"

"You betcha."

"Hey," Maverick whines against my skin, "I'm your boyfriend."

I tilt my head, forcing him to draw back enough for us to lock eyes. I rub my nose against his, "Hate to break it to ya, mister but we're competing against each other for the Top Gun award."

"Don't forget me! He wins, I win – I –" Goose sighs dramatically. "Everyone always forgets the RIOS. Always –"

"Not me, Goose," I interject, breaking eye contact with Maverick and forcing the intensity of my gaze upon the man across the table. "I won't forget."

Goose smiles softly.

A mutual understanding.

There's a triple meaning to my words that I know he catches.

"Well don't go getting too competitive!" Carol exclaims, "Because I'm expecting a wedding in a year or two and this Top Gun trophy better not get in the way!"

"Goose," Maverick slaps a hand over his face and groans. "You weren't supposed to share that with anyone!"

"Heyyyy I didn't say anything! She just – baby, how in the world –"

"Y'all stop losin' your minds already, I just know these things."

Maverick and I share a look.

He dips close to my ear and whispers, "I think Carol might've bugged her own kitchen."

That I laugh at.

"I better be invited to this wedding."

Charlie's eyes sparkle.

I smile, "There's an opening in the bridesmaid department."

"Any chance I'll win the bouquet toss?"

"I guess we'll just have to see."

>>>>>

Life is by far the best it's ever been. I'm surrounded by people who love me, people who I love in return. I'm on my way to being a pilot again. Iceman and the guys still bother me, but Maverick is always on the defensive. Sometimes, all it takes is one look from Slider and my ever protective boyfriend is ready to pounce. I find it incredibly endearing, but Goose often has to break it up before it gets ugly. Thankfully we've had very few encounters like that. Like I said, life is good. Charlie and Viper sent out a request for the next qualified and partnerless RIO in line for Top Gun and we're waiting for a response from bases across the US. Until then, Viper advised me to fly with Goose on the days where Maverick isn't on the air schedule or with him. Apparently, our favored instructor has experience in the back and the front seats.