Chapter 41: 𝘈 𝘕𝘦𝘸 𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳

The first thing I saw as I got off the plane was a powder blue Jeep, sainted by the setting sun. The halo reached around the roof of the Jeep and the woman slouched against it. Charlie. A sight for sore eyes. I took off running, haphazardly dropping my duffle-bag before crashing into Charlie's wide-spread arms. There was a whole pressurized Coke in my chest and I was convinced that the second the cap burst, I would dissolve into tears. It was for that reason that I was dreading our reunion...once the mission was over, once I'd finally gotten that cold shower, the thing I wanted most was to go back to California — to Charlie. The Coke exploded, but I was laughing. Charlie was laughing and her long, immaculately manicured nails were digging through my aviator jacket.

"Did you really get two MiGs, Stirrups? Two of them!?"

She pushed me back, staring at me like some surprise gift.

I could barely talk — that's how hard I was laughing.

"Oh, Charlie, you should have seen it!"

Ghost ran clean past me and into Charlie's arms.

"She would have held the record," Iceman notes. He's carrying two bags; Ghost's on his shoulder, his own under his arm and the straps coiled around his hand. "Except, Maverick's ego couldn't live with second-best to his girlfriend so he shot down the other three."

"You're just jealous you didn't take anyone down yourself," I scoff.

Iceman shifts the bag on his shoulder. "I never had a chance, you guys had me playing bait. If it weren't for me, you wouldn't have gotten those shots."

"Excuses, excuses."

Iceman chuckles. He glances over my shoulder and his expression softens.

"Is the car unlocked, Charlie? I've gotta put Ghost's bag away..."

Charlie jingles the keys in the air. Ghost inhales sharply. If she weren't so considerate, she would've ripped them out of Charlie's hands. There's a pep in Ghost's step as she and Iceman walk 'round the back of the Jeep. I watch them blur against the sunset, Ghost attempting to lighten Iceman's load and him, evading her outstretched hands. The crown of her head is level with his bicep. Not even her aviators add much height, but there's something so sweet in the way he towers over her, juggling two duffle-bags like nothing, yet treats her so delicately.

An arm snakes around my waist.

"Maverick —" Charlie beats me to it. "It's good to have you back."

There's a whole casserole of emotions behind her polite greeting.

Maverick grabs my side and gets a messy fistful of my undershirt, denim waist-band, and the skin underneath. I slip a hand under my jacket to trace the contours of his knuckles. His grip relaxes immediately, but he doesn't pull away.

"I knew you would do it," Charlie continues; a small smile peeping through her closed lips. "But I've got to hand it to you, Maverick, three MiGs? I think we may have underestimated you."

"Not as much as I underestimated myself," He answers lightly.

My fingers force their way through the tightly sealed gaps of his fist; I give Maverick's hand a squeeze, and he squeezes back.

Charlie smirks. "It's more fun to surprise yourself than know the outcome, isn't it?"

Maverick never gave her an answer. It's been weeks. Sometimes I catch him staring at a wall but not quite seeing it, and I wonder if he's still considering Charlie's question. Despite the fact that we've fulfilled our promise, there haven't yet been any wedding plans. Neither of us are having second thoughts — we're just so damn tired. We're taking life one step at a time, beginning with a night of celebration at the bar. Iceman and Slider do owe me a beer. I live off their tab for the night, but Maverick gets a drink off of everyone whose heard about the those three MiGs he shot down. Ghost and I laugh every time someone new shows up, eyes bright as they congratulate Maverick and offer him a refill. At first, Maverick was thrilled. The cocky little bastard. He would shake the hand of whoever was topping off his drink and then flash me a cheeky smile from across the table. I might've been more peeved if I weren't so glad to have him back to normal. Eventually, the drinks stack up, but none of us really know how to turn them down, so Maverick slides them around the table until we're all thoroughly buzzed.