Chapter 14: 𝘈𝘯 𝘈𝘸𝘢𝘬𝘦𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨

The flight wore Bradley – who's pretend callsign I learned to be Rooster – out and once the burger and fries were in his stomach, swimming through the strawberry milkshake, he passed out cold in Maverick's arms. We all shared a laugh over that, before Goose and Carol excused themselves. They picked Bradley up and decided to head home and rest up for a few hours, but promised to meet us at the bar for dinner. Carol told me to invite Charlie. "I gotta know all my Womenfolk in these parts!" She explained. I gave her my word that I'd relay the invitation, and so I did, after Maverick drove me to Charlie's place. He said he had some things to take care of or he would've just stayed and hung out. A tiny part of me wished he did, it's always been hard for me to be alone...not including my grieving period following the crash. I guess what I'm trying to say is that normally, when I'm in a right state of mind, I'd rather be out all night partying than be stuck on my own.

Especially if it's with Maverick...

Chill out, honey, you're gonna see him in a few hours! Vixen scoffs.

Easy for you to say, I shoot back, scowling at my bedroom wall.

She pauses. I can almost envision her shaking her coily red mane. I know, Stirrups. Ghosts can't do all the neat stuff you can. I nod. No they can't. I can't sneak through your window at night or drive a motorcycle or hold your hand –

"Ok!" I hiss, gripping my duvet excessively. "I get the picture."

But do you? She challenges.

"Yeah, you're jealous that I'd rather hang with Mav than sulk with you."

My RIO falls silent.

I feel my heart lurch into my throat. "Vix –" I whisper, hoarse with guilt. "I...I didn't mean it like that –"

Stop talking out loud, she mutters. All your doing is making yourself seem crazy, ok?

I open my mouth to object but quickly close it. No one is around to judge my sanity, but Vixen's remark does bear some truth. If I get too used to responding to my RIO outloud, even if it's in the safety of my room, behind closed doors, I might accidentally forge a habit that I can't risk jumping out in public. I've gotta be smart. Keep my cards close to my chest. Like her dog tags, I reflect. My eyes fall to my chest, catching a sliver of my lightly tanned flesh beneath my white undershirt. The chains of both tags – hers and mine – glimmer; metal against skin. A small smile winds across my face.

Sometimes hers can feel like a dumbbell around my neck...

But I can't imagine going about my day to day life without them there, laying against my breast.

Someone knocks on the door.

"Stirrups?"

Charlie.

"Come in!"

I'll leave you alone for the evening, Vixen states, her voice so quiet, but so close I jump. I swear I feel her breath on my ear, warm and very much alive. Charlie turns the doorknob and steps into the room, looking all put together as usual. I shake off Vixen's farewell and exaggerate a smile.

"Hey! How was your day?" I ask.

Charlie flashes a tired smile. "Draining."

"They tend to do that to ya."

She laughs and nods her head, "That they do. So," She rests a hand on the wall and steps out of her heels, sighing when her bare feet touch the wooden floor. "How'd it go picking up Goose's wife and kid?"