Chapter Eight

Izuku groaned, pulling at his laces. The school day had ended as the last of the Heroic classes tournaments - it wasn't really one, just group vs groups to be honest - and he'd made it half-way across the school before his laces decided to once again become undone.

His red shoes were old and worn, but they came in short demand. There wasn't many brands that released shoes for Quirkless people. They were specially made so that the edge didn't rub against the extra toe joint.

He had split off from his class, wishing to grab his bag from class before heading out - he wanted to drop by the pet shop too, Paws birthday was coming up. 

"Hey!" He twisted as he stood, frowning slightly as two second years came running towards him. One he recognised, and his heart shattered. 

His hair was light and eyes dark, body thick and taller than Izuku. He looked so much like Hisashi it made Izuku want to cry.

"Izuku Midoriya right?! Apparently you're Airi's half-brother but I don't believe him!" Gulping, Izuku looked to the Airi. He had a taunting gaze in his eyes. But also a threatening one.

Izuku was scared of many things - his half-brother, half-sister and Papa were one of them. 

"Y-Yeah." The other boy laughed, eyes wide in surprise. "No way! How come I've never seen you?!"

Airi smirked. "He lives with his Uncle. He's Quirkless you know - Dad offered to fix him but his Uncle said no." A sudden chill hit the air.

"Wait- your Quirkless and got into the Hero course? Did you cheat? Give one of the Teacher's a blow? Can't believe your brother is a little whore Airi. Come on dude, can you give one of our teachers a blow? Bunk us up to Hero?"

Izuku was still, tense, eyes falling to the floor. He felt numb, finger dragging at the skin on his thumb. Taking a shuddered breathe, Izuku smiled sheepishly and bowed. 

"I'm s-sorry, I-I've got to g-go. Nice s-seeing you." He heard them laughing as he sped walked to his classroom, grabbing his bag and aiming for the door. That was when a cough caught his attention, and he shifted his eyes to the podium.

His Unkie was stood there, papers in his desk, and eyebrow raised. 

"A-Ah! Sorry! I di-didn't realise!" Sighing, Shouta let his eyes run over Izuku. "You look pale. Did something happen?"

He shook his head.

"N-No, I'm just ti-tired! We did th-those Hide and S-Seek games today." Shouta nodded. 

"I seen. You've caught the eye of a few teachers." Smiling, Izuku shuffled on his feet, looking to the door. "I-I'm going to he-head off! Gotta r-run to the Pet st-store!" He moved to the door, stopping at the call of his name. he didn't look over his shoulder.

"There's some plasters in the front of your bag."

____________

Shouta wasn't surprised to see Izuku when he got back from patrol.

He was sat at the kitchen table, slumped over and absently stroking Paws. The hoodie was on, over fluffy blue pyjama bottoms, hair held back by a red hair band and bags developing under his eyes. 

Hizashi wouldn't be too happy by that - he had been so proud that one of their kids didn't adorn the purple bags.

Hanging his scarf up, he moved past the boy and put the kettle on. He'd purposely never taught Izuku how to make Hot Chocolate - had taken very strict precautions to prevent the boy from ever knowing - so he'd be there for him. He didn't trust Izuku not to wake from a nightmare, make his own drink and vanish back to his room before Shouta got back.

"Want to talk about it?" Izuku shook his head, looking at the plasters on his thumb and middle fingers. Shouta was proud of him - it had been a long time since they'd have to barricade all of his fingers.

"N-No."

Nodding, Shouta rubbed his eyes - which were sore - and smiled when he saw the waiting eye drops. "Thanks Lettuce." He sighs, relieving in the moisture brought back to his eyes as he makes the Hot Chocolate and coffee. 

The fifteen Marshmallows had already began to bloat by the time he placed it in front of Izuku, holding his hand out. "Marshmallow."

Izuku seemed to relax a little. "Marshmallow."

Even after nine years the boy still hadn't gathered the concept of eating the thing in one or two bites, and at age fifteen, he sat there nibbling the fluffy treat.

They sat in silence for a while, before Izuku pulled his phone out his pocket and pushed it across the table to Shouta.

"Not quite the U-Underdog Hero." 

On the front was a news page, titled ; 'UA's first glimpse into the future; The Quirkless Hero-in-training! Is this an absurd joke?' It was a photo of Izuku in his suit, crouched in the window of a building with the blurred faces of Denki and Katsuki behind him. Playing beneath was a short clip of Izuku ducking below an attack from  blurred Sero - a deliberate piece where he seemed at a disadvantage. He read a bit lower, controlling his rage. The whole article was about the dangers of a Quirkless Hero, or student.

He grit his teeth. "This video shouldn't have been made public; nor should the fact your Quirkless. Do you have any clue to who would have leaked it?"

Izuku looked down, and shook his head. Shouta knew he was lying but left it. "I'm positive Nezu had probably caught wind and has made action to have the page deleted. Is this what has you up?"

Izuku shrugged. "It was going to get out eventually. I'll need to change my suit if I graduate and become a Underground Hero."

Shouta ruffled his hair, blocking the link. "When you graduate. You've got an hour or two until we need to get ready. A movie?"