Chapter Twenty-Two

A cane blocked the incoming attack, Izuku sitting up nervously on the bed.

Shouta brought his arm down at Recovery Girls scolding. "No hitting my patients. No matter how much they deserve it." A glare settled on Izuku and he gave a wheezed laugh. "I f-feel attacked."

Shouta narrowed his eyes. "Not a time for joking." Izuku looked down at himself, silently sighing. There was a bandage wrapping his thigh and calf - both on the same leg - with stitches pulling taught with each movement, and his wrist in a thicker supportive bandage. The arm previously covered in ice - which had led to burns by the way - was also wrapped. Izuku was awoken as it was being re-wrapped, and although mostly healed, their were still patches of skin blistered and gone. It wasn't pretty.

He knew there were dark bags beneath his eyes, he could feel them, and his hair was a mess as ever. 

"R-Right, sorry." Shouta sighed, falling into the plastic chair and pinching the bridge of his nose. "You provoked him, why?" Deflating slightly, Izuku winced as he jostled his leg, eyes flicking to Recovery Girl as she moved away.

"Ig h-he wants to b-be a Hero, he can-can't risk pe-peoples lives in sp-spite of his Fa-Father. No am-matter who he i-is."

The Teacher sighed, humming a laugh. "You take that much inspirational from me, eh?" Izuku's eyes widened, and scowled at the mass of bandages around the two. "Not a time for jo-joking." He mocked, and Shouta huffed a laugh.

"Once you're healed, we're going to have a serious conversation. I understand you're just fighting like everyone else, but no one else put themselves in as much harm as you." 

Izuku didn't argue, that'd only make it worse. So, he nodded and yawned. "I-Is Kacchan ne-next?" Shouta nodded.

"We're having a break whilst we repair the damage from your fight. I'll have to go a little while before it starts." Izuku nodded, eyes landing on his notebook. "No." 

Izuku swung his gaze to Shouta, eyebrows furrowed. "I wa-wasn't-"

"Don't lie to me. You were going to wait until I left before sneaking off to watch the battle. You'll be coming with me and watching from the announcement box. Where I can keep an eye on you."

__________________

"D-Don't." 

Shouta raised an eyebrow, turning to look at his nephew. During the final round of the festival he'd been sat in the corner of their booth, watching and writing awkwardly in his journal.

One of the other's Teacher's had come up, explaining how Katsuki Bakugo - the winner - was being hostile and he was needed to sign off restraint. Including a muzzle. He had been second away from agreeing, when Izuku had piped up, looking sheepish and nervous.

"Don't?"

Izuku took a shaky breathe, nodding. "He ... It'll ... P-Please-" Shouta sighed, and Hizashi frowned. "Sorry, can you give us a minute?" The Teacher nodded, leaving the area, and he turned to Izuku.

"Jelly Bean, we can't help if you don't tell us what's up." Izuku nodded, teary eyed, and looking away.

"A f-few months ag-ago when I we-went to vi-visit him and we- uhm, he g-got in a Vi-Villain at-attack. There w-was a Sludge Villain an-and it tried to ta-take over h-his body an-and cut o-off his bre-breathing."

Shouta nodded, told the Teacher to instead leave the boy in a room and exclude him from the award ceremony. Then, he turned to Izuku with a firm gaze.

"Do not lie to me. Were you also attacked by the Villain?" Izuku nodded slowly, and Shouta narrowed his gaze. "I read about it. Two boys attacked, the first saved by All Might delivering a punch to the Villain. Was that you?" A nod. 

The adults shared a glance, and Shouta groaned whilst standing up, crouching in front of him. "Why didn't you tell us?" Izuku shrugged. "I di-didn't want t-to worr-worry you. I w-was okay, I pr-promise."

Hizashi shook his head with slightly furrowed eyebrows. Shouta nudged his foot with his own. "Lettuce, if something like this happens we need to know. A Villain Attack is serious, and we need to know as your Uncles and guardians. We'll speak more about this a different time, for now, I need you to go and calm down one of your idiots."

Izuku gave a weak laugh, awkwardly pushing off the chair. "H-He's your stu-student." 

______________

"Nerd." 

Izuku smiled, dropping into the chair and watching Katsuki pace for a minute. "Kac-" The boy whirled, glaring.

"Look at you. He took it too fucking far and has the nerve not to fight me properly?! I'll kill-" Izuku cut him off, voice light. He was one of few people who knew how to handle Katsuki - and was one of few people who wouldn't get their heads blown off trying.

"That w-would make becoming a He-Hero compli-complicated." The blonde scowled, looking the boy over and slamming his hand on his fist. "I don't care! This is ridiculous! And you! I'm fucking angry at you! In so many moments you could have attacked but you decided to get him to fight you with everything?!"

Sighing, Izuku slammed his head on the table. Katsuki screamed at him, but Izuku raised his better hand. "Pl-Please don't. I've ha-had a hund-hundred lectures already." Scowling, Katsuki sat besides him. "Then don't be a dick."

"I'll ke-keep it in mi-mind."