Chapter 9

POST CIVIL WAR

"Hey, Wanda," Bucky called after Wanda nervously, "Natasha's birthday is coming up and I have no idea what to get her. Any suggestions? I figured you would know her best since you're her close friend."

Wanda narrowed her eyes, thinking about Natasha. She was certainly not the easiest person to buy for... Wanda took in a deep breath then looked at Bucky.

"How about a new gun?" Wanda suggested. Natasha loved guns and shooting. Bucky tilted his head around and pursed his lips together.

Bucky replied, "She always uses the same one, and she's extremely comfortable with it."

Wanda nodded and tried to think. "Does she like pets?"

Eyes widening, Bucky gave Wanda a slight smile. He exclaimed, "That's an amazing idea! You're awesome, Wanda! Thank you!"

However, Natasha was passing by the room they were in, and stopped when she saw Bucky hug Wanda affectionally. Unfortunately, she did not hear what they said about her birthday. Before they could see her, she slipped away and rushed to her room slyly. She furrowed her eyebrows as she lay down on her bed. Her mind was flooded with horrifying thoughts. She tried not to think about it. Wanda and Bucky could just have been hugging in a friendly way, right? She did not want to be jealous, but she could not help it. Was Bucky not totally head over heels over her? Well, he had never actually said the 'l word' before... god, did he not love her? She gulped and cupped her face in her hands frustratedly. She knew she loved him... wait, did she? She spent the rest of the day overthinking about Bucky and Wanda, and also about whether Bucky loved her or not. Sure, he liked her a lot, but love is a strong word. She had never actually opened up her heart before. Bucky was the only person who made her think of settling down. Then again, she was a monster, wasn't she?

If only she knew she was not a monster.

The next day, Bucky was feeling immensely worried about Natasha as he had not seen her the entire morning. Natasha never woke up late. However, little did he know, she overslept, having nightmares of him and Wanda being together and Bucky never loving her.

Bucky restrained himself from barging into Natasha's room and asking her what happened to her, but he just could not help but worry. He could not take it anymore and frantically knocked on Natasha's door. Natasha was a light sleeper and jumped at the persistent knock on her door. She was sweating profusely, having just been dreaming about her boyfriend liking her close friend and not loving her. She wiped away her sweat and got up, then opened the door to see the man she was thinking about all day.

"Nat, you okay?" Bucky asked with care and concern. Natasha rolled her eyes.

"I'm fine, why don't you go ask Wanda if she's fine?" Natasha grunted. Bucky frowned and asked her what she meant. She scoffed and ignored him, then walked away, intentionally making her arm push against his as she left. Little did he know, she was dying to talk to him.

Bucky had never seen Natasha so grumpy in his life. He had no idea what was going on. He assumed she had a bad morning, but he just could not shake the thought that she hated him out of his head. You see, they were both very big over thinkers. Once one thought entered their mind, they would not be able to let it go even if they wanted to.

One week of Natasha avoiding Bucky later, it was Natasha's birthday. Natasha did not like to celebrate her birthday or make a big deal out of it; because she had the misconception that she was a monster and did not deserve to be born. However, the avengers threw her an extravagant party. There were red and black balloons everywhere, and the streamers were also red and black. The cake looked five feet tall, and the sumptuous desserts were very scrumptious.

"Surprise!" The avengers shouted as Natasha arrived back at the compound after a Mission. She scanned the room and could not hide a smile.

"What's all this for?" Natasha asked.

"It's your birthday!" Steve replied. Natasha shook her head in disbelief.

Natasha muttered, "I said I didn't want a party."

"Oh come on, who doesn't want a party?" Tony asked. They started handing her gifts and Bucky came out of the blue and gave her her gift. It was a puppy. She gasped and stared at the puppy. It was a golden retriever. Her favourite breed! She looked at Bucky, then he smiled and kissed her on the cheek.

"I-I... what?? A dog?" Natasha stammered.

"Yeah, I asked Wanda for suggestions and she suggested a pet, then I remembered you loved golden retrievers," Bucky explained, "I hope you like it."

The realisation hit Natasha hard and she realised there was nothing between Wanda and Bucky. She stood up, gently handing the puppy to Steve and she pulled Bucky out of the room. The avengers shrugged.

"You-So-You don't like Wanda?" Natasha managed to stutter.

"What? Of course not! I love you, Natalia, not anybody else!" Bucky exclaimed.

Natasha gaped. Her smile reached her cheeks and she passionately kissed Bucky. They were locked in a tight embrace for a while, then they pulled away slowly.

"I love you too, James," Natasha confessed. Bucky grinned and they kissed again, this time for a longer time.