v. The Mediator

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

━━ chapter fivethe mediator

━━ chapter five
the mediator

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

     VALKYRIE had no time to grab her mallet.

     In under seconds, she was rushing after Hiccup and Stoick in a flustered confusion. The others followed━at least, Valkyrie believes so. In the chaos that underwent immediately, she only barely managed to catch up, rushing so fast on her toes she almost tripped once or twice. It wasn't long before the forge was completely abandoned, customers and all, and the crowd was following their chief in shock curiosity━wondering what might've caused such action. Valkyrie assumed Astrid, Hott, Snotlout, Fishlegs and the Twins merely followed like her, trying to push through passing Vikings to keep in hearing distance to the conversation father and son held.

     Though it was far from a conversation. Hiccup's questions were ignored━or perhaps not even heard. No matter how much he raised his voice, his father was a bellow louder, drawing Vikings down to the Hangar and commanding the war horns to echo.

     Val was breathing heavily. Her heart pounded. Her mind flooded with her own questions as she descended the stairs into the caverns below Berk into the Hangar. She tried to catch the conversation, but it was as wild as everything else. Wild as the hammer of footsteps, as the confused shouts of Vikings, and the bellows, squawks and roars of dragons uprooted from their rest and food.

     She blessed the Gods that Zephyr was down here already, resting after his ordeal amongst straw and beside a water trough. He looked up at the commotion, tilting his head and twisting his long-neck to meet Valkyrie's eyes━he seemed to ask, what is happening?

     Valkyrie didn't know. Gods! She was clueless!

     Who was this Drago Bludvist to cause such fear and commotion? Who had the power that a single utterance of his name meant war? Who was he?

      When Val tripped over the last step down into the Hangar, Toothless━who had followed obediently, albeit very startled━was there to dip his head under and hoist her back up. She gave him a quick scratch as a thank you before finally catching up. Her chest heaved as she took a moment to think, trying to listen behind Hiccup and understand━but Stoick was not ready to explain.

     "Ground all dragons! Seal the gates! Lower the storm doors!"

     Val's breath hitched a little as Vikings ran to the many levers in the Hangar, starting to tug down each one. Dragons were ushered from above in through the windows and down towards the tunnels to the many pens━Valkyrie signalled Zephyr towards her, not sure what was going to happen. She just knew she wanted Zeph close to her.