xvii. The Curse Of The Hobgobbler

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

━━ chapter seventeenthe curse of the hobgobbler

the curse of the hobgobbler

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

"THIS, is Berk!"

Across the waters, bathed in the morning sun and nestled amongst cliffs, mountains with weather that was never quite friendly to one's spleen, Berk might just be unrecognisable. To the passing traveller from outside the Archipelago, they heard stories of Berk being a quaint place; beautiful, stunning even. Why, how they would get a shock. It was still twelve days North of Hopeless and maybe a few degrees South of Freezing to Death with sea stacks protruding out of the cool waters like hands stretching towards the gods. And━of course━nothing could ever change the fact it was located, solidly, on the Meridian of Misery. But in almost two years since Drago's siege and attempt destruction upon their home ... a lot has changed.

Passing the mighty Viking soldier and his furious dragon brethren, keeping their shores safe, the waters were alive in schools of Thunderdrums, pods of Sea Shockers and many other Tidal Class dragons leaping forth, nestling on the rocks or in the shadow of sea stacks. The skies were bright in colour and loud squawks, bellows and roars━rows and rows; flocks of dragons with long wings, short wings, long necks, short necks (the entire batch!) made the clouds and mountain caves their homes.

For no longer was Berk a boring, run-of-the mill place filled with stubborn Vikings and rock-hard bread from the bakers. It had become something of a Utopia; a bright, bustling metropolis that used to be small, limited to the centre of the island to keep them safe from the dragons that lurked in the forests. But now, the village━well, could it even be called a village?━stretched as far as it could with bright-painted houses, pens and stables; feeding stations, multiple dragon sanctuaries, hangars, windmills and roosts towering almost as high as the clouds ... bright and beautiful, with many flowers painted upon some multiple storey landings; multiple nooks and crannies ... their home. Crowded, of course, very crowded. But home.

"Your new home away from home!" continued Hiccup, gesturing towards the island that was now his. He led the new flock of dragons and his Riders upon the back of the king of all dragons━back home that had become a bustling, industrial working for Vikings and dragons. A place where they could all finally live in peace. "A stunning one-stop, all-expense-paid dream destination! So settle in and let your worries melt away!"

Astrid sighed as she flew Stormfly in next to Valkyrie and Zephyr. "He always has to make a production out of everything, doesn't he?"

"You have no idea," muttered Val in reponse.

They soared down into the city of dragons and Vikings, bypassing the twists and turns that were hangars and stables, houses with multiple dragons slumbering on their roofs, watering stations with lines of both dragon and Viking waiting their turns to grab their buckets.