xviii. A Day In Berkian Utopia

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

━━ chapter eighteena day in berkian utopia

━━ chapter eighteen
a day in berkian utopia

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

    THE CHATTER in the Great Hall was deafening on a normal day, but today, it seemed far worse. They all crammed in, Vikings and dragons for afternoon supper. Valkyrie was glad she and the rest of the team had their own table (perks of being close to the chief, she supposed), and she didn't have to deal with the smell of sweaty, exhausted Vikings after a full day of work on either side of her. Instead, she could sit down beside Valka, chatting aimlessly about things while also trying to get Linnea to eat her supper━which was proving to be quite troublesome. It was Hiccup's fault. Linnea wanted to do anything her father did, and Val was sure if he was the one sitting here, trying to feed her, she'd happily accept anything.

    Valka was chuckling at each failed attempt, which made Linnea do it more. Ever since she returned to Berk, Valka has been quite the friend to Valkyrie━and a big help especially in the role of chieftess, but also when she carried Linnea and gave birth. Valkyrie doesn't think she would have been able to get through the past━almost two years now? Odin's pants. All the ceremonies, and visits and 'motherly roles' that weren't around Linnea made Valkyrie nervous. Hiccup came home tired every day, sure, and that possibly made his roles much worse and harder, but the expectation that came with Valkyrie's she hated. She already had one kid, and Linnea was effort enough (and she loved it, honestly), but the looks of━could it be? Was she...? Don't make it too obvious!

    Everyone was eager to see another little baby running around and it terrified Valkyrie because she wasn't sure whether she was ready for that; whether Hiccup was ready for that ... whether any of them were ready for another. She was still sleeping with Linnea in her bed, she was still carrying her around everywhere she was able, she was still battling to get her to eat her peas

    "Perhaps wait a little while," offered Valka, still chuckling at Linnea's actions. "See if she's a bit hungrier later. She's definitely got Hiccup's stubbornness, I see."

    "Oh, don't even get me started," said Valkyrie. She leaned in close to Linnea, eyes narrowed and cheeks puffed to which she giggled and pushed them back in. Around them, the rest of the table was rambunctious in its chatter. Ruff and Tuff were arguing across the food, Snotlout was jeering Fishlegs who was also feeding a child (except this one was Fishmeat and even more of a struggle), Hott was having a conversation with Asrifth, discussing the Sanctuary and such things. Astrid was sitting on Val's other side, sipping away at her soup and making faces at Linnea when she thought Valkyrie wasn't watching. She didn't realise the brief glances Hott made, his conversation faltering as he watched the way her scowl light up into a gorgeous smile each time she got a reaction. He still wasn't over her━gods, he'd never be over her, no matter how much he knew she didn't see him as anything more that Val's younger brother.