xi. Battle Of The Bewilderbeasts

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

━━ chapter elevenbattle of the bewilderbeasts

━━ chapter eleven
battle of the bewilderbeasts

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

      THE MOUNTAIN of ice growled and grounded together as bits and pieces broke off, hitting the snow shore with shattering impact; frozen, humongous raindrops that destroyed catapults and dragon trap carts into splinters. Following it, was the ginormous sea dragon Hiccup's mother led on her own Stormcutter. Valkyrie was frozen behind Eret for a few seconds, mouth agape as she watched the group of them descend into the battle with an ear-splitting bellow that rocked the ships, wavered the seas and trembled the stone. 

     Opening his maw, a blast of pure ice shards exploded━sending frozen waves towards Drago's army. "RETREAT!" some yelled, running as fast as they could and diving out of the way to avoid ice sharper than swords and larger than tall pine-wood trees. Those who weren't as lucky were caught right up into it, enveloped and stuck mid-scream, eyes wide.

      Valkyrie stammered, "What ... what is that thing?"

     Eret veered them to the right, brows furrowed with a grave scowl. "The Bewilderbeast," he explained━still having a few hurt feelings for his destroyed fort. "The Alpha species."

     She had seen the Red Death; felt its haughty breath as the Queen Dragon tried to take her and Zephyr into her jaws. But this Bewilderbeast was twice her size. She, the Submaripper and the Shellfire held nothing in comparison━this was the embodiment of the terrifying sea Leviathans mentioned in the Book of Dragons and pictured in the Dragon Eye. She was by far relieved and glad he was on their side. 

      With his bellowing roar, came another flock of dragons; following his command. Hiccup's mother━behind her tusked mask━spun her hooked staff in her fingers and pointed down at the army; the dragons followed her descent. Valkyrie had heard stories of her━tales of tragedy. Valka, the wife of the chief; killed when Hiccup was a babe, taken away by dragons during a raid. And yet, here she was, twenty years later and alive

    A group of Zipplebacks barrelled to the snow, wrapped up like boulders in green smoke; the left head latched onto the tail and their scales burst into flames like a Monstrous Nightmare's. They rolled along, knocking out men and traps as they went. Valkyrie gasped, amazed. "I━I didn't know Zipplebacks could do that..."

     One of them were snagged to a painful halt in a mouth-trap; the bars sprung loose from the rope and dug into the snow, locking the dragon underneath. Valkyrie pointed and Eret readied Zephyr to head after them, but Hiccup and Toothless were on the case immediately. "Come on, Toothless!" the chief's son tilted his dragon into a deep dive. "Show them what you got, bud!"