TURNS

I could play nice or I could be a bully,
I'm tired and anxious but somebody should be

"The fifth game is going to start momentarily. All players are requested to follow the staff's instructions." The jolly voice announced as some soldiers entered the player's hall, taking them out to the same white room. There were just 16 players left and they were told to choose one mannequin with a number tag each. They can choose any number before them. The first few people took the middle ones. The rest still were confused as to which one to take since they don't know what the game was. The only ones left were number 1,2,3,4 and number 14, 15,16.

Meanwhile in the VIP room the front man showed the VIPS a miniature set of the next game but they still didn't get the game, he announced, "Gentlemen, she is the twist!" The screen in their room darted to the door of the same white room filled with players as two soldiers held a girl with short hair, head hanging low and brought her into the room of players.

The girl was Areum.

The cheerful voice announced again, "All the players, please welcome the new participant, player number 457. Kang Areum."

Every player looked at her who now has worn the same green outfit made for the players. They all were shocked, no one expected that for sure. "What the hell?! How can you all join a new member half way through?!" Jang Deok Su, the gangster shouted as some other people agreed with him. "For everyone's information it was the boss's choice to do it so no one can object it. Anyone who disagrees will be eliminated." The cheerful voice shut everyone down. They gave nasty looks towards Areum but she didn't say anything, she was tired. Tired of everything she did to spoil this place but at last coming back to being just an anxious player again.

"As for the numbers, player 457 has a disadvantage. She can choose either the first number or the last number, that is 17. She has no other option to choose from." Listening this announcement everyone took their number tags leaving Areum and Seong Gi-Hun, player 456 along with another man to choose from one,16 and 17 and 1. Areum didn't know which game this will be because in her time they played different games, the serials were different too. She went forward and saw how Seong Gi-Hun and another man were debating for number 1 so she just went and took the 17 number tag. She stood at last in the crowd of participants as everyone around her gave her cold looks.

On the contrary, the VIPs in the room were excited and surprised with the new addition to the players which can cause a drama in them. Jun-Ho, out fo shock overfilled the glass of wine as the VIP groaned to him. He apologised and went back. He is now worried, shocked and angry but he still doesn't have any plan in mind. He started shooting a video from his phone that he hid inside the blazer. "Son of a bitch!" The cat masked VIP cursed after seeing himself lose the bet on the player who chose 1.

The player 096 chose the number 1 while Gi-Hun chose 16 and Areum was the last one. They all were lined up near a door. The screen in the VIP room rose upwards as the curtains opened, showcasing the same miniature set but in its real size to all the people in the VIP room. "Oh wow! It's bigger!" One of them excitedly said. "This is exciting! And I loved the idea of adding a player here! There will be drama! They are gonna burn!" Another one said as they all laughed together.

The players entered the arena and saw a bridge made of glasses in front of them. They stared at the glass as Areum crossed the crowd to take a good look at the set. "The.. glass stepping stone..?" She whispered to herself. She remembers playing it at her time but ofcourse the pattern won't be the same, not that she remembers it either. "The fifth game is glass stepping stones. One of the two glasses before you is made up of tempered glass while the other one is real glass. The real glass is strong enough to hold two people while the tempered one cannot even hold one person. You have to step only on the real ones among the pair of 18 tiles in 16 minutes to cross the other and pass the game safely." The announcement clarified Areum's doubt. Areum relaxed realising that she is the last one. She doesn't care about anyone here, not until she finds herself in safe place.

The guy who chose number 1 is now regretting it while looking back at Seong Gi-Hun and wondering what to do. "The numbers...?" He asked the soldier beside him and it answered, "It is the serial in which you will go." "How do we know which is tempered glass?" He asked the soldier but to no response. The VIP looked at the players with a magnifying glass to get a better look at them.

"Scumbag!" The cat masked VIP cursed still not over of him losing the bet. He looked to the side to Jun-Ho and called him close to pour him some more wine. Jun-Ho was about to leave the VIP when he held Jun-Ho's hand and told him to sit back. "I must serve the other guests." Jun-ho tried to excuse himself but he failed. The VIP asked everyone and told him to sit beside him.

"You have 16 minutes to cross the bridge." The jolly voice declared as the number 1 player stood at front, debating which one he should start with.

He is just gonna take turns on each glass.

It was also announced for the players to take their shoes off. The player was wasting his time. The people couldn't handle it and started shouting at him to go. "If you don't go, then I'll push you." Jang Deok Su warned him as the player started to step forward to the glass on his left. It was real one. The people started encouraging him to do well. Areum stood pushing her back to the wall while she scoffs thinking how the people now support each other because their life depends on it.

The soldiers in the VIP room brought the glass horse named number 1 to where the player landed to give the VIPs a better idea of what's happening.

The player took another step forward, just one step onto the same side. He stood for a second there expecting it to be the right one but in a split second it broke off and he fell down from the immense height, dying instantly. The people gasped at the sight.

The cat masked VIP is now taking his sweet time examining Jun-Ho's eyes through the mask. "Such beautiful eyes you have." He spoke while Jun-Ho hid his disgust inside the mask. He looked over to the game and sighed silently knowing Areum isn't doing anything that could risk her life. He really planned to take her out with him.

The soldier took out the glass horse of number one and made it fall down, representing the state of the player.

_______________________________

Ok so... Yeah I'm updating quite late now because I'm stuck with my family and studies!! I swear I'm trying my best to update but I just couldn't.

Anyways, we now found out that Areum has been made a surprise player now. Do you think she will survive this year too? It doesn't seem like that to front man, that's why he did that to Areum so that she can die in the games and won't ever blame it on him.

Enjoy guys!

- Author 🌚 (yeah Imma change it after so many times)