Chapter 18

I don't think that's a good idea, Jak said. I should probably get back down to the village.

This is essential.

Agarilus knelt down and pointed with his giant snout to the crook at the base of his neck. This prompted Jak to climb up into the surprisingly comfortable space. The scales were not irritating like their first flight.

This must be another effect from bonding. Jak kept that observation to himself, not wanting to sound foolish in front of the ancient dragon. Somehow, he instinctively knew how to put a mental wall up to keep thoughts private.

Once settled in, Agarilus stood tall, jostling Jak in his seat.

How am I supposed to hold on? Jak asked looking for anything to grab.

Find some spikes to hold on to. It'll only be a small irritation for me. We will have to find something for future flights that will not inhibit me and will help you keep your balance.

Agarilus focused his golden eyes on the sky above. Without warning, he brought the two wings down and hurled himself above the tee canopy. Jak's body pressed against the dragon's as gravity tried to keep him from escaping. Staying hidden from the village, Agarilus took a sharp turn down the floating mountain as Jak came to an equilibrium.

Can we not do that again? Jak asked while his stomach settled.

You will get used to it, Agarilus responded with a throaty growl of a laugh. Jak could feel his partner's amusement in his own mind as well. It unsettled Jak to share so much with another being but was careful not to keep the mental wall up in fear that it would be disrespectful.

Even though Jak had already flown on Agarilus through the Floating Mountains of Ede once already, his jaw still dropped. Landmasses hung in the air as if they were plucked from the ocean below. It played tricks on Jak's mind because he could feel gravity keeping him attached to Agarilus. As they flew closer to the bottom of one island, Jak could see it was a barren wasteland. Nothing grew on the underside. From afar, the underside had looked all one shade of brown but now that Jak was closer, it changed into layers of different browns with white rock structures hanging like icicles.

Agarilus flew nearby a thick vine that held a small island to the village's island. When close enough, Jak could see that what he had thought was one vine as thick as his cabin was actually multiple plants growing around one another. Each individual vine was still as wide as Jak himself. The leaves were huge, almost as large as Agarilus, but a darker green. The vines continued to grow into the forest of the small floating mountain and lost among the thick canopy of trees. This island did not have any flatland like the one the village rested upon. It was truly only a mountain.

A flock of birds Jak didn't recognize pulled up next to Agarilus. They had long serpentine bodies covered in white feathers with long yellow beaks. They were neither aggressive toward the ancestral dragon nor afraid. They glided through the currents of air alongside Agarilus, hardly ever flapping their wings. Eventually, the strange birds broke away and disappeared behind a mountain peak.

Agarilus dove down toward the ocean below. Jak's heart raced but he was confident the dragon would pull up before hitting the ominous fog that hid the salty water from view. When it became apparent to Jak that Agarilus intended to go through the fog, he closed his eyes as cold droplets of water accumulated on his skin and clothes.

What are you doing? Jak demanded as he peeked through is eyelids to find nothing but greyness.

Trust me, Agarilus responded.