Chapter 35

An argument ensued between Jak and Rory about Preston before leaving the secret tunnel. Jak wanted Preston to come with them to the rendezvous point to meet with Rune but Rory demanded they cut him loose. It was because of Preston, Jak argued, that they were even able to escape. Zachario was hesitant to share in the conversation, however, he did agree with Jak on that point. Rory gave in and allowed the prince to join them but refused to take him to the Village of Ede.

Jorjin nickered and pointed her ears towards her owners once they exited the cave. Rory spent a lot of time convincing the tall horse that neither John nor Agatha could ride her safely and that instead, Rory would ride her out front and back to make sure that they were indeed safe. Agatha rode one of the other horses with little need of assistance though the prince stayed by her side. John on the other hand needed to be tied down on the third horse. Jak and Zachario each walked nearby to ensure the old man didn't fall off and was still breathing. When Rory could, she joined them and walked to rest Jorjin. Their journey across the valley was uneventful but eerie in the three moons' lights.

As always, Para sat stationary in the night sky directly above the kingdom, showering the landscape with its blue light. Cobetera, an almost full green moon, made most of its journey across the sky already. Zemara, the largest and brightest white light, looked as if it had just risen but made it so the group could clearly see their way across the valley. Thankfully, not so bright that the knights could spot them from the high castle.

Once at the rendezvous point in the mountain's foothills, they laid John flat on his back. Agatha slid from the horse, with Preston's help, and scurried over to him, sitting on the ground. They anxiously waited for Rune in the dark forest. There was nothing they could do for John except make him as comfortable as possible. Once, Rune did arrive, he almost left at the sight of the prince. Agatha jumped to her feet and rushed over to grab Rune's shirt and had a whispered conversation.

All but Jak gasped as Agarilus revealed himself by poking his head through the trees, with glowing gold eyes from the moonlight. Rune and Agatha dropped their conversation to admire the ancestral dragon. After a moment, Rune stepped closer to John and looked him over but kept one eye on Preston. Rune suddenly wandered into the forest and returned, after a long period of time, with extra items. He must have gone to his home, wherever that might be. One item in particular Jak recognized as the bracers used to inhibit the use of magic.

"If he stays," Rune started in his gruff voice, "then he wears these. I don't care that he used his magic to help you guys escape, I don't trust him."

Everyone stood still as their eyes narrowed in on the metal bracers. Jak waited for Rory's response. The memory of her reaction over the use of them in the camp rushed to the forefront of his mind. Would her hatred of them or her distrust of the prince win out?

"Agreed," Rory finally said.

Jak let out a huge breath he didn't even realize he had been holding. He desperately needed Rune to stay and care for the old couple. Then then show Jak the World Gate.

It was time to go home.

Rune roughly grabbed the prince and locked the bracers around his forearms, then proceeded to tie him to a tree, away from the old couple. Preston accepted it without dispute. Rune went back over to John and Agatha with the other items he retrieved; first lighting a fire with flint and steel. He directed the Jak and Zachario to watch the prince as he worked.

Rory took it upon herself to monitor the perimeter. When she was with the group, she always looked off into the dark forest as if she saw something no one else could see. Rory would also disappear into the trees and down the hill. Jak wasn't sure if her thoroughness was necessary because if no one waited for them at the cave's mouth or found them in the valley, then they were probably safe. Not to mention that Agarilus could sense all the living things in the area. Jak felt this through their bond and almost said something to Rory but the dragon stopped him.