13.

It was lunch time, which meant Elena went with Rebekah shopping so they could meet Esther.

"Hey, Mom! This is my best friend, Elena! She works at the hospital with Elijah. Elena, this is my mom, Esther."

"It's so nice to finally meet a friend of Rebekah." Esther said making Rebekah force herself to smile and try to not show how upset she was with her mother's comment.

"It's really nice to meet you." Elena said.

"So... How long have you been friends."

"For some years now. We met at the hospital. She was able to let this man survive long enough to get to the hospital. She had to use a pen because he was unable to breathe. Right away I was impressed with her. She was a paramedic with an high school friend of mine and we got to know each other and now we are best friends." Elena said, omitting that Stefan was just an high school friend because she wasn't sure if that would put Stefan in bad terms with Esther.

***

After everything Klaus told Caroline about his father, she thought that maybe she could do something to help.

"Hey, Klaus! What do you think about being at my place for awhile so you don't have to be stuck at work or with your father?"

"Love, that's really kind of you but I don't want to bother you."

"You don't. You're my partner. Let me be there for you." Caroline said, making Klaus smile, wondering how it was possible for him to find such a caring partner.

"Thank you." Klaus said with a smirk.

Caroline drove them to her place and took out some bourbon because she knew it was what Klaus liked to drink

"Here it is some bourbon so you can stop being so tense."

"I'm not that tense."

"You started the day by punching a printer."

"It didn't print. It's the only job the printer has." Klaus argued, and then realized that he was starting to get tense all over again. "Alright, maybe you've got a point."

Caroline started to make conversation about something else in an attempt to try to make Klaus relax and stop thinking about his father, when someone knocked on the door.

"Are you waiting for someone?" Klaus asked.

"No." Caroline said and walked over to the door, then opened it, revealing Tyler Lockwood.

"Tyler..." She said in surprise because she hasn't talk with him for a long time and hasn't seen him ever since she got back to her home town.

Klaus put the drink down and started to feel tense while wondering who Tyler was.