Ron | Our Own Fairytale

"The only way to deal with fire is fire."

"Technically, water would work better-" Ron started but you shot him a glare to make him shut up.

"If she gives you the cold shoulder, you give her the same!" You decided happily.

You knew this was not what he wanted when he said he wanted you to be his matchmaker. You're a damn good one, and so far you've set up a lot of happy couples. Hagrid calls you the Lover Liar, which was ridiculous, but it stuck. You did have to lie a bit to get some oblivious lovesick fools together, and all of them forgave you for it because you did it to help them.

But Ron? Asking you for advice to ask Hermione out on a date?

Absolutely not.

You didn't want him to go out with her. You thought she was nice and maybe one day you'll be friends with her but in your mind, she wasn't good enough for him.

You don't think anyone's good enough for him, another part of your mind said.

"Shut up!"

"I wasn't talking!" Ron said defensively.

"No, no, I was talking to myself." You murmured quickly.

You were both sitting in the library, where he had just told you all about his recent fight with Hermione (big surprise, you thought, rolling your eyes). Your advice was for him to ignore her as much as she ignored him. This wouldn't go well because they were both so stubborn. You wished you felt bad for doing it, but you didn't.

Would you rather not see him happy? That was the thing- he's never happy when he's around Hermione. They always fight and nothing said they might be good together.

Except everyone in this school, you thought grumpily.

"So uh, I just ignore her?" He asked, frowning.

"Yup, and just you wait, you'll be married by the end of the week."

"We're literally too young- wait, are you mocking me? Bloody hell, you were joking!"

"No, no you should ignore her!"

He laughed, "I forgot about your sarcasm, Y/N. Thank you, let me go apologize to Hermione."

Your mouth fell open. Did everything bad had to happen to you?

"That wasn't sarcasm!" You said hastily but it was of no use.

"Very funny, Y/N. Now did you do the Astronomy homework? I'm lost."

You looked like a fish out of water, and finally gave up. Maybe they'd be good together. You were being petty anyway.

You nodded and got the books out of your bag, trying to ignore the pang in your chest.
 -

Later, in Potions class.

"Psst!" Ron had thrown a piece of paper at the back of your head.

Apology didn't work :( — the note said.

You sighed and wrote she'll come around :) and threw it back.

You watched him smile when he read it. Snape appeared behind his back and slapped his head with a book.

"Why're you disrupting my class with little love notes?" He hissed, quickly recognizing your handwriting. "Out!"

"But I-"

"Out!"

"That was me just asking for help in homework!" You yelled on the spot, and Ron looked at you like you went crazy.

A slightly venomous smile spread across the professor's face.

"L/N, do you think I can't read English?'

Your face went red. Maybe you hadn't thought it through.

"I-"

"You can join our Weasley outside and talk about homework all you want."

Your mouth fell open.

"Go on, I don't have all day!" He snapped. You begrudgingly took your books and followed Ron outside.

"That was fun." You said, sighing.

"Sure." He leaned his head against the wall with a frustrated expression.

"What's wron-"

"I just don't understand why she still acts so rude to me!" Ron exclaimed. "What does she want? I said sorry, I said it a thousand times!"

"Maybe you should let her be." You suggested timidly. "I know you like her, but all of this just seems exhausting to the both of you."

"I can't let her go." He shook his head. "I can't."

"Yes, you can-"

"You don't get it Y/N! Out of all these years, she's the only one who's been close to me! If she hates me, that means I'm too stupid- or ugly or whatever- to be loved." His voice broke at the end, and he blinked away the sudden tears which threatened to spill out.

Silence prevailed for five seconds.

"You absolute idiot." You said, laughing softly.

He met your eyes reluctantly.

"I don't think she hates you," you started smiling. "But if you like her just for the sake of having someone close, that wouldn't be fair to her. Or you. And as for the last part, did you think Hermione was the only person who stuck by you this far?"

"Oi, you think Harry likes me?" He said, chuckling. "I mean, I'm flattered but I don't li-"

"Oh my god, I'm in love with the most idiotic person ever."

"You're what?"

"There, I said it." You sighed, a part of you relieved that it was finally out. "I love you. I mean, I think I do. Maybe it's just a crush but it's been there for so long that it has to be love, right? And I know you don't like me the same way, so please don't make this awkward."

"Y/N!" He blushed, his cheeks matching his hair. "Well- uh- I used to like you in second year, but then Hermione said you'll never go for someone like me."

Your face fell. "That's rude."

"She didn't mean to sound mean, it's just- I'm not your type. So I let you go." He took a step forwards.

Sadness hit you like an arrow. The what if-s and regrets were already forming in your brain.

"But," he took your hand, like it was the most precious and fragile thing in the world, and held it to his heart. "I think a date can't hurt."

"You just said you don't like me anymore!"

"No, I said I let you go. But if you never wanted to go, guess you were with me all this time, right? Both literally and metaphorically." He looked awed? Happy? Surprised at himself? Maybe a mixture of all the above.

"And if I haven't properly fallen in love with you yet," he hesitated. "Then I'm lucky because I'll get to know what it feels like. I'll love you. One day. Maybe that's not a fairytale ending, but it'll be our own story."

You leaned forwards for a hug, feeling yourself melt into him. If you could just stay like that a bit longer, it'd feel like home. He pulled you apart, but you were still close.

So close you could smell his cologne.
So close you were almost kissing.

"WEASLEY! Y/N! I DID NOT SEND YOU OUT TO START MAKING OUT!"

Well, almost.