Harry | Rings and Headstones

Harry always have the saddest Halloweens, that was a known fact. But while the rest of the world dress up as ghosts and creatures of the night, Harry would visit his parents' graveyard, hoping against hope that their ghosts would talk to him.

So far, that hasn't happened, but it didn't stop the boy from wishing. This time, he wasn't alone. He had Y/N, someone who he's been secretly in love with for as long as he knew. They were kind, impulsive and bold, and Harry fell hopelessly for them after just a few months of being friends.

He didn't know whether to be happy that Y/N was with him while visiting his parents. He didn't like crying in front of them, but to be fair, his visits weren't full of tears anymore. He'll just stand and talk to the headstones, feeling nostalgic of memories he's never had.

Y/N slipped their hands into Harry's, and gave him a comforting smile.

"They would have loved you," he said, his words bitter. Just like I do.

"I would have loved them," Y/N replied.

Y/N took something from their pocket, something that resembled three identical rings.

You bend down and put two of them on the ground, then gave the other to Harry.

"This way, you can be with them forever." You said, grinning.

Harry paused ever so slightly, before accepting the ring.

"I think those rings would be stolen if you just leave them there." He remarked, but Y/N waved it off.

"If we don't see it the next time we come here, your parents probably came here to take it." You said, shrugging.

Harry wondered how Y/N was this optimistic and if he's ever been so obliviously happy anytime in his life. If he did, he had forgotten about it. While that may be true, looking at the face of Y/N, he was starting to remember.

I love you, he wanted to say. But they smiled as if they knew.
As if they're honored Harry would love them.
As if they love him back.

And standing here, with his parents as his witness, and Y/N's hands inside his, he remembered how it was to be happy.