If you don't ask him out

Week 6, Thursday evening

It was payday and both Kexing and Hanson received their paychecks. When they looked at it, they were pleasantly surprised. The amounts were enormous. The company had kept their promise and paid them both for all the overtime hours they worked. For Kexing, that was 5 weeks worth of overtime pay. For Hanson, it was a year and a half worth.

That check alone, was sufficient to pay off almost 80% of Hanson's student loans. He quickly deposited it and made his online payment that same night.

Kexing was speechless and overwhelmed with joy. He immediately went to visit Tony after work at the hospital to share the good news. Yang Yang went with him.

"I'm so happy for you bro. You deserve it. You worked really hard for it." Tony said to Kexing.

"Thank you Tony. I can help you pay some of the hospital expenses. I was worried how we're going to pay them, but now I'm relieved. They're releasing you next Monday, right?" Kexing immediately offered to help Tony.

"You're ... so awesome... bro. Yes, Monday I'm going home."

"We're brothers, your debts are my debts. What am I gonna do with all that money anyway? Buy drugs and get stoned?" Kexing joked.

"I owe you big. So... how are things with your boyfriend?"

"Are you referring to Hanson? Ok I guess."

"What do you mean by ok? Are you guys dating? Having sex?"

"No." Kexing shook his head.

"Why not?"

"He's always working. Days, nights, weekends. You name it."

"Did you ask him out?"

"I asked him if I could visit him again at Ginger during his break. He said no."

"That's it?"

"Yes." Kexing pouted.

"Try harder, bro."

"How?"

"I'll think of something." Tony assured his friend.

Later that night Tony called Yang Yang and they had a very lengthy discussion on the phone, which Kexing was not aware of.

~ ~

Week 6, Friday mid morning

Hanson and Kexin had to bring 2 bars of material to the barrel machine. Since each bar was over 200 pounds, they loaded the bars on a cart and pushed the cart to the machine. On their way, a machinist stopped Hanson to ask a question about a material, so Hanson signaled Kexing to push the cart himself. As Hanson was talking to the machinist, discussing material hardness and tensile strength, a loud boom resonated throughout the shop. All the workers were petrified, it sounded like a bomb had gone off.

The staff was running away from the noise and heading towards Hanson. "Your guy is injured!" Somebody said. "There's a fire!" Another person shouted. "Where's the extinguisher!?" One of the engineers asked. "Everybody calm down!" One of the managers commanded. "There's an explosion at Workstation 6!" An operator yelled. " Kexing got hit! Mark too! And Jay!" An assembly woman cried out. "We need an ambulance!!" Another woman shouted. "Quick! We need to contain the fire! Or there will be another explosion! Grab that extinguisher over there!" A machinist screamed. Most of the staff were running away from the fire, while the people in charge ran towards it, trying to help. Hanson rushed to workstation 6 to look for Kexing. He saw Kexing on the floor and knelt down next to him.

"Are you hurt?" He asked nervously.

"I am ... "

"Where are you hurt?" He asked, interrupting Kexing's answer.