Pieck x She/Her reader - August 12th

Song - I know by Tom Odell

--

August 12th was the day I fell for my best friend. I'd known Pieck since I was born. Our mothers went into labor together, our fathers met in the waiting room of the hospital. Pieck and I grew up as sisters, and since we were young, we've thought of each other as such. It was one summer afternoon that I found out the love I held for her had changed to something so much more. 

--

We walked down the dirt road. Pieck didn't say much, as usual. There was nothing much to talk about, and we were both happy with nothing other than the gravel crunching beneath our feet. That day was no different that nay other. 

We walked past Mr. Pete's old barn house, the mechanical shop, and the old bakery, nearly half our age. That was our last stop of the day. It was a Sunday, the last day of the week before Mrs. Mononoke threw out the last of the unsold bread.

She made a habit of offering the us the bread, which we would make into French toast the next morning. Today she had offered five loafs, all of which we excepted gratefully. Pieck and I bought two pumpkin muffins as well. It was a new recipe Mrs. Mononoke had tried out, and she had saved a few extra just for the two of us. 

"Thank you!" I yelled back as we walked back up the large hill to our house. It was a duplex, so we practically lived together as well. 

"Hey Pieck, wanna have a sleepover tonight. I bought a new game, it's a horror one and my brother said it's pretty scary too," I suggested. 

"Yeah sure, my parents aren't home so I didn't really want to spend the night in an empty house anyways," she said.

--

We ended up ordering a pizza for dinner. It was a split between our favorite types, but we both ended up have both kinds either way.

The game wasn't too scary either. There were a few jump scare that we both reacted too, but nothing to the extreme like we both expected. My bother had tried to scare us, expecting us to be on edge but it didn't work in the slightest.  

"I'm gonna go get dressed for bed," Pieck said. I hummed in response, scrolling through twitter and other social media. 

She didn't take long. Pieck walked out of the bathroom, dressed in a pair of her dads old basketball shorts and her sports bra. A typical outfit most would just throw on, on a 90 degree day. 

This wasn't the first time she dressed like this. In fact I was dressed the same way. This time, it just felt different, she looked different. In fact she had been looking different for a while now. 

A familiar twinge struck in my heart. She looked so perfect, standing there. Pieck rubbed her eye. The bathroom light cast a shadow over your face, but still, you could see her perfectly. The way her shorts hung slightly off her waist. 

I stood up, and walked towards her. My face and body felt like it was on fire, and she looked at me the same way. 

"My heart hurts when I look at you," I mumbled. At the time, I didn't really know what it meant. For my heart to ache at the thought of another person.

"Me too," she said, a bit of hesitation in her face. You stared into her eyes, and she looked back. 

The silence seemed to draw us closer than ever. Right there, right then, in the midst of all the madness, I kissed the girl I planned on spending the rest of my life with.