The Hospital

The rocks were finally starting to form into somewhat a road. The trees were disappearing and little huts started appearing on the sides of the roads. It was extremely windy, cold and dark, and to makes things more hopeless, the light I was walking towards started dimming. What if I got there and there was no one to help? What would I do? 

After what felt like an hour, I finally arrived at the destination with the little light and to my luck, it was a hospital! Not a big modernized hospital like the ones back home in the city, it was old, crammed and looked dysfunctional. I walked into the lobby which was a spider-webbed dingy room with one broken table. Behind the table there was a really arrogant looking ragged out man. I walked in and he seemed to ignore me.

"Hi, um.." I managed to speak, despite how unapproachable he was. 

"What do you want?" He groaned, still not looking at me

"PLEASE HELP ME" I cried, feeling tears coming through. 

"Look little girl, if you don't stop crying I'm gona kick you out. I hate crying kids."

Suddenly, a nurse appeared out of nowhere and just like the man, she looked extremely unfriendly. She was thin, short and really really pale. Her face was expressionless, and her eyes were red. She probably hadn't slept in like 10 days.

"Oh dear! Look at you! Come with me." She spoke softly and kindly. 

"My family is in trouble. They're lying in the middle of a forest right now. My parents are unconscious. And-" I tried to speak as fast as I could.

She disappeared just the way she had suddenly appeared. I turned to the man but shockingly he was gone too. I walked out of the hospital and saw an ambulance there. Half broken, just like the villages sign and the hospital's desk but when I saw the nurse calling out to be I decided I had no other choice.

I guided the nurse to the forest area where my parents were. I thought I wouldn't be able to find the exact place but then I found the pieces of glass that i had left. The nurse and the ambulance driver had a torch with a lot of light so it was easy to find my parents and Katie. Katie was unconscious by now too, which got me terrified. The nurse and the driver got out these bed kind of stuff and put my parents and Katie on them and took them into the ambulance and we were on our way back to the creepy hospital.

------

I was sitting down in the lobby on this extra chair next to the weird man as I was told to. I wanted to cry so bad but something told me if I made a fuss in front of this man it wouldn't be good.

"It's Juan." He whispers, trying to make it look like he doesn't want to talk.

"Isabella." I reply.

"What brings you here young lady? I don't see people as young as you in this town since ages.... Other than that goddamn stupid boy"

"My family was going on a road trip to uhh.. I dont know where. But it's one hour away from here I think. So um I wake up in the middle of this forest and my parents are unconscious and my sister.. oh my god." I say trying to hold the tears back

"So you weren't supposed to come to Xeota? Good." He says slightly spinning his chair around

"What do you mean?"

"Never heard of Xeota? Obviously not. This is the town nobody knows of. And nobody should know of. This hospital and the mansion behind are the only sorta living things in this whole town." "It's a dark dark place." He says, finally sounding willing to talk.

"What--"

"This hospital was built by ma grandma. Back in the late 1800's. She built it cuz she was hella sick all the time and she wanted a place of her own. With her own doctors and nurses. Away from everybody else. She got all tha' money in the old age. She spend it on this. But she died midway in the process of building this." "I keep this place goin' for ma grandma."

"Wow. This place is old." I add

"I know. And old is not always good."

"So how do you keep it running? Who even comes here?"

He laughs.

"There's many things that are kept better untold. You're going to be staying here for a while. Your questions will get answered by themselves girly. Just watch out."

I felt a bit better after talking to him, it got my mind off the traumatizing event just a little bit. But now I was just so tired and in so much pain that I really couldn't think or ask more questions.

"Mr. Juan, Can I see my parents now? And where do I stay for the night?"

"Go upstairs to the room where your parents and sis bein' treated. You can sleep on a bed there. Meant for patients but we ain't got any other ones." He smirks.

I walk upstairs through the insect infested stairways to the second floor. The hospital had long hallways with many rooms and high ceilings. It was dark and quiet. Why were they so many rooms?

I walked to the room from where lights were shining through under the door. The nurse was walking around in there and I felt so relieved. I swear walking in those hallways was no worse than being on the set of some extreme horror film.

The room inside looked like it had been abandoned since years. However, they had many equipment so that probably wasn't true. I walked up to little Katie first and looked at her face. Thankfully nothing had happened to her precious angelic face.

"They'll be alright in a few days" the nurse said and walked out of the room.

I was basically alone here now. Katie and my parents were unconscious so it was just me in this hospital room in some freaking 100 year old hospital in the middle of some dead town. I wasn't usually scared easily, but I couldn't help not feeling scared here.

There was a total of 10 beds in this small crowded room. I jumped onto a bed next to Katie's. Shivering from the dark and chill of the room, I held onto her finger, closed my eyes and waited for the morning light to come.