【 Chapter 1 】

It's incredible how fast a relaxing evening can turn into an odious struggle within a matter of minutes. I experienced this first hand while I was taking some time to myself to finish a school project I'd been putting off for a while.

School had let out; from there my day usually follows a certain routine: sitting under the shade of my favorite tree, and quietly doing my homework. That part went smoothly. However a few moments later the mundane course of my day took a turn for the worse.

       I should have been working in peace, speckled with sunlight falling through the leaves. Feeling my hair dancing in the wind. Instead, some ignorant buffoons from my neighborhood felt like testing my patience. Big mistake on their part.

       "Hey! Give that back!" I shout. I reach up to try to grab the small book, only for my adversary to raise it higher. "Clyde, you bastard! Give me back my sketchbook right now!"

       Clyde wears a sly grin on his face, that prick snatched it right from my book bag! "Poor little Anne! You're too short grab it. Maybe if you jump ya might be able to reach it?" He taunts me, "Why don't you give a try Anne? Come on now, jump!"

       I clench my teeth. How dare he belittle me like I'm some sort of pathetic little child! "Shut your mouth! Height has nothing to do with intellect, and I'm perfectly fine with having only the latter."

       My eyes flick back and forth from the three boys. If he were alone I would be using any means necessary to get my book back, but unfortunately his two buddies are with him so I'm out numbered.

       "Oi, did she just call you dumb Clyde? You gonna let her get away with that?" One of his lackeys joins in.

       "Well, I was considering giving the book back before. After all, I only wanted to tease her. Now I don't think I will." He strokes his chin in thought, then his eyes light up as a wicked idea grows in his mind. "Hey, Jackson, go long!"

       Clyde points to a spot in the distance and his friend runs backwards until he's a good six meters away. Clyde winds up and then he throws the sketchbook at him with quite a bit of force. I watch as one of the precious pages folds back, creating a crease in one of my drawings.

       "Hey! Be careful with that!" I rush over to Jackson. Not caring anymore, I jump up to try to get back my prized possession. "That book is worth more than all of your lives combined! Get your grubby hands off it!" I kick him hard in the shins and he yelps in pain. He drops the book and I catch it before it hits the ground.

       "You witch! I'll kill you for that!" Jackson cries with rage. He grasps at my arm but with a quick twist of my wrist I break out of his hold easily. I'm about to dash away when I find myself surrounded.

      Oh no. I need an escape route; Clyde is definitely the strongest out of the bunch, so I need to steer clear of him. Normally I would go for Jackson but he's on guard now. All that's left is the other guy — I can't remember his name, but I think I could get past him. Just in case he's stronger than he looks . . .

        My hand slowly reaches toward my leg till it closes around the familiar shape of my knife. At least dresses are good for hiding things, that's one reason I don't object to wearing them every once in a while.

        "Hey!" I freeze and everyone turns their attention to a boy with dark blue hair standing on the hill to my right, "You down there! Give back to the lady what's hers or I'll make you regret it!"

       Who is he? I don't think I know him . . . .

       The guys glance at each other and then back at the boy, "Who are you? Are you Anne's friend or something?"