【 Chapter 26 】➪ 𝐓𝐫𝐮𝐞 𝐑𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐞

I tighten the strap that secures the sword sheath to my back, but am somehow not surprised to find no hole to loop the buckle through that's high enough in the strap to keep it tight. A sad chuckle escapes my mouth, almost sounding more like a scoff than a laugh. Pulling out the small knife I keep tied to my thigh, I hammer a small hole into the strap far above the rest, and finish looping the buckle.

       With Jonathan's help, I get the sword into the sheath. The weight causes me to stumble and almost collapse, but I quickly regain my footing. It feels unnatural on my back, making my gait awkward and unbalanced. Being the gentleman he is, Jonathan had already offered to carry it for me to which I politely declined. If I couldn't learn to carry my own sword how would I ever be able to use it? What good would I be in battle if I couldn't even handle my own weapon? Sure, Blueford was more than twice my size, but I would find a way. I had to.

       Just as we were about to move on, a hulking figure appeared behind Jonathan. The man was at least twice the size of Jonathan, a look of pure rage on his face. Tarukus. "You coward! As a knight who passed the seventy-seven rings, you're a disgrace!" He brought down his enormous sword on Blueford's armor, destroying it and sending shards of metal plating flying in all directions. I dive to the ground, but I'm not fast enough. A fragment of the armor lodges itself in my shoulder and a strangled cry escapes my lips.

       Jonathan whips his head in my direction. "Annie!" He turns to Tarukus, seething. "How dare you! You've destroyed the only remains of your fellow soldier!"

       "I respected him when he fought like a warrior, but then he turned soft." He practically spits the last word, as if it leaves a bad taste in his mouth.

       Jonathan glares at him. "Why you—"

       "Now's not the time JoJo!" Zeppeli seizes his arm and yanks him out of the way before Tarukus can crush him with his sword. Speedwagon rushes to my side, pulling me to my feet and yelling at Athena to run, half dragging half carrying me as he follows them.

       We come to an abrupt halt as our frantic scramble to get away leads us right to the edge of a cliff. I spot some sort of stone architecture built into the opposite side of the cliff.

       That's right! Dio mentioned we were near the knight's old training grounds, those must be the ruins he was referring to!

       Jonathan and Zeppeli exchange a look, and gather a multitude of fallen leaves from the ground, creating a huge glider from them. I blink, momentarily distracted from the burning pain in my shoulder.

       How on earth—how is this possible? Is it their hamon that's holding it together? Since when did sunlight punches turn into—

       "Annie, quick! Hop on!" Jonathan calls to me.

       "I, er, how should I. . ." I trail off, fretting about how I should hold onto him.

       "Just, here—" he hooks an arm around my waist hastily and tugs me closer to him. I try to put my arms around his neck, but as soon as I attempt to lift it, pain shoots up my left arm. I grit my teeth and settle for holding onto him with just one arm. I notice the argument taking place on the other end of the makeshift glider.

       ". . . for the last time, Speedwagon, no. I am not going to "climb on" and let my fate rest in the hands of this old Italian prat." Athena snarls, swatting Speedwagon's hand away as he attempts to convince her that both of them can hold onto Zeppeli.

       "Please Athena! It's the only way, come on!" He insists. She quirks a challenging brow in response and he shakes his head. "No. No. Athena you can't be thinking what I think you're thinking! You aren't strong enough for that kind of—"