【 Chapter 6 】

Anne's POV:

       Whirrrr whirr, drip drip.

The coffee machine slows to a stop and I take the cup out from underneath the dispenser. I place it on a tray along with another cup, then I fetch a bowl of sugar cubes and a creamer along with it. With my honed waitress skills I balance the tray on one hand and bring it to one of the three tables for two by the store front.

Sun shines through the windows onto a young couple. The man is a regular here. I suppose he found himself a bookworm to take out on a date, good for him.

I set the tray down gently and place the teacups on the table, "Is there anything else I can get you?"

"Do you have any pastries? I'd like something sweet." The lady asks.

"If you're looking for sweet I'd recommend the apple strudel or a cinnamon bun," I suggest.

"Hmm," she tilts her head, "I'll take the apple strudel please."

I nod, giving her kind smile. "And you sir?"

       "I'll just have the usual," He tells me. "Thanks Anne."

       "No problem Mr. Stewart," I pick up the tray and head back to get an apple strudel and a blueberry muffin. As I'm deciding which muffin looks the fluffiest, I hear the bell chime, signaling someone has entered. Footsteps lead up to the counter.

"I'll be with you in one moment." I say, grabbing the muffin with a napkin.

Then I hear his voice from behind me as he orders smoothly, "I would ask for a tall glass of water, however, it seems I've already found one."

       I sigh, shaking my head slightly at his remark. "Hello Dio,"

       Turning around I see the sly smirk he wears, leaning on his elbows on the counter as he sits at one of the bar stools. "Good morning, Anne. Are you ready for our, outing?"

       I place the muffin on the tray beside the strudel. "My shift ends in ten minutes. If you want, I could get you some tea and you could find yourself a book to read while you wait."

       He narrows his eyes at me, "Trying to make a quick buck are we, Anne? I'm appalled that you would take advantage of my love for books and tea." He puts a hand to his chest, pretending to be offended.

I roll my eyes and decide to play along with him. "Flirting are we Dio? I'm appalled that you would take advantage of my love for sarcasm." I wave my hand dramatically through the air.

He raises his eyebrows in response, clearly not expecting this response, "Well played."

—————

I bring the couple their order and finish up in the café, tidying the counters and restocking the display shelves, making everything look it's best. Seeing that no other costumers are around I decide to find Dio to see what he's up to.

       I check the lounge—two love seats and an armchair—to find that he isn't there. That's strange. I assumed he would've found a book by now. I proceed to search each of the isles between bookshelves and find he isn't anywhere in the store.

       I've trained my ears to pick up the door bell's chime from across the bookshop, so I know I would've heard it if he had left. That leaves only one place he could be.

       He isn't snooping around is he? He better not be in my room! Though I guess I would deserve that, considering I did the same to him.

I hurry to the back corner of the bookstore and climb the staircase, reaching the landing in front of my family's little condo. I'm about to open the door when I hear a muffled conversation. I lean my head against it, listening carefully.